crank no start

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by rod428, Dec 30, 2017.

1. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    If all plugs out, no reason for engine drag or starter kick back.

Bill, I don't think I need to go through the hassle of converting audio to a youtube.

That sounds like a engine that is seizing.

Three starters later, that engine is toast. Don't even need to go further. The audio provided by the OP is sketchy, but quite clear.

To save that engine, it is going to take a lot more than another starter. I think the timing jumped, and if that happened on a 4.3l like this. Remove engine.

Evaluate truck,

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  2. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
  3. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

OK, both Dan and Nick have indicated cranking isn't quite right, even with the plugs out; and it certainly seems that spark timing is off, for whatever reason.

It is time to quit looking for "magic bullets" outside the engine and start looking inside. Removing valve-covers, oil pan, timing cover, or intake manifold are all *relatively* easy ways to get some clues to what has happened in there. I would start with the easiest, the valve-covers.

4. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

Before recommending any major surgery, I would like more questions answered...
    Is the starter NEW or "new"?
    Is the distributor cap new? Is it the "flat-top crab" kind? They are tricky!
    What was the procedure that "has been checked several times" to determine distributor shaft position?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  5. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Yeah, I keep hinting about a timing light being needed to verify spark is too far advanced...

6. rod428

rod428 Newbie

with no plugs sounded normal here. definately no kickback. kickback only occurred with all connected. have new starter. am gonna do the 3 crank tests again but do the best i can at recording to get it to you guys.
    will try to determine exact spark timing with each cylinder. will have valve covers off and watch for smooth movement.
    am thinking i can see a more precise timing with plugs out.? will still work ok.?

note: plugs have been dry.
    seems as tho its ready to start at anytime with starter fluid, but wont crank long enough.
    has complete new distributer. checked for number 1 rotor position 2-3 times. and number 1 spark with light several times

weather, time, permitting will report back asap dont wait up

thanks all

7. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

Because there is some unfound problem somewhere, I will ask about rotor position. Are you clear on the fact that when engine is "at number one", the rotor is actually pointing to a position that is close to where the #2 and #4 wires attach to the cap?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Sometimes, a defective NEW cap of this design can cause crazy and unexpected spark problems.

8. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

To determine "engine on compression stroke for cylinder #1", I usually remove spark plug #1 and stuff a paper wad into top of spark plug hole. Then I "bump" crank the engine until the wad "pops"out. At that point the rotor should be pointing "in the general direction" of #1 position at the distributor. You should be able to turn the crank pulley bolt a short distance to line up the timing marks, and rotor should still be close to #1 position.