Cruise Control flaking out

Mikerizer

Website
www.batauto.com
Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: Dodge
MODEL: Grand Caravan, Cargo Edition
YEAR: 2006
MILES: 49,835
ENGINE
: 3.3L
DESCRIBE ISSUE....

I did a front brake job on this van about 6 months ago. At the same time, the cruise control quit working properly. It will do one of the following when you press the buttons on the steering wheel:

• Come on, as indicated by the word "CRUISE" on the dash panel, the go right back off
  • Come on, and work at low speeds (say 35 MPH on local road) until you hit the brake, and the indicator goes off, not to come back on unless you turn the key all the way off and back on again
  • Nothing at all
  • Have not been able to get it to work at interstate speeds
I did a rear brake job this morning. I pulled the front wheels off, unbolted both sensors, and wiped them clean. I also verified that the rings on the CV axles are clean, and undamaged.

There are NO codes in the computer (according to my cheap-o scanner; it might not read body codes and such).

What else should I be looking at?

Thanks, BAT!!

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
First look to the clock spring. If you hear a clicking noise when spinning steering left to right, clock spring is shot. Also VSS were notorious back then.

Here are two snapshots. Second one shows clockspring. Very familiar problem.;) Screenshot (77).png Screenshot (78).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Key on,off,on,off, on method should throw a code, no need for a scanner if it is PCM related such as a throttle code or such. Check vacuum at reservoir. but I highly suspect the clock spring.

Mikerizer

Website
www.batauto.com
Thanks, Nick! I see two codes: P0582 and P0586. What should I do to troubleshoot? BTW...I replaced the clock spring, right after posting this original topic. ALSO: when I press the switch to turn the cruise control on, the CRUISE light indicator on the dash comes on for a split second, and goes off. From then on, absolutely nothing happens when I press the button again, until the ignition is powered off and on again.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, hold on, I will get this information soon to the op, I am marinating chicken for some weird recipe my GF want's to make. I will get this here in 10 minutes. Just have to fire up the data.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The PCM is telling you something right now, it does not recognize any vacuum solenoid circuit response.

The P0586 is probably just a convergence code. Address the P0582 first.

Mikerizer

Website
www.batauto.com
Well, oddly, coincidentally, and happily, this issue is :fixed:

Back in November 2015, at the end of this thread, I took the van in for diagnosis...the quote was for $2,000 for a new BCM and programming. Forget that...

A couple of weeks ago, I was cleaning up the van, to allow someone to borrow it. As luck would have it, as soon as I picked it up from my Dad, the CEL illuminated. I pulled the code, and it was the EGR code (P0401 I think?). Anyway, I had to unhook the battery, in order to move the alternator a bit, to get to the bottom ERG bolt. I got it off, and all the ports looked clear and unclogged. So, I left it overnight and went and got a new EGR valve the next day.

I knew I would have to drive for 20-30 minutes for the system to relearn with the new EGR. At the same time, THE CRUISE CONTROL STARTED WORKING!!!

So, I'm wondering if the BCM or some sub module went through a relearn process as well?