Cruze question

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by GM Guy, Jan 21, 2017.

1. GM Guy

GM Guy Full Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Chevy
    MODEL:Cruze
    YEAR:2013
    MILES:143k
    ENGINE:1.4l Turbo, 6spd M
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....I'm looking at this Cruze for my college age son. My concern is the miles. It appears to be meticulously maintained and drives great. My question is this= How many miles are these turbos good for? How about the clutch? Are there any other issues with this model that I need to be concerned with?

2. GM Guy

GM Guy Full Member

I decided against the purchase of this car. We repaired his totaled Scion tC instead of replacing the car.

3. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Wow, great update.

But I want to know, Gm guy, how did he total that scion? Lamp post? Curb> etc?

A neighbor of mine down here north of montreal has one of those cars, A rally cup edition. Sweet ride. When he starts his car up, my house
    windows shake. :eek:

For a small car like that, sure has some guts. I tried that scion out once, he was stuck in snow, and he is a very big/tall guy, I wince every time I see him trying to get out of that small car.

He asked me to try the car to see if he had not burned the clutch. Once I returned, I said clutch is fine, and if ever I have enough money, I want one of those.

:D

4. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    As for the cruze 1.4l turbo 6 speed, good thing you stayed away from that, I hate those engines, they are very fragile, so repairing that toyota was a good move. Those things last forever.

A few years ago, I was working for GM, company told us techs repeatedly to do so many TSB's/recalls it was not funny any more. Someone at GM made a bad design on that engine.

5. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    So to properly answer your question on how many miles you can put on those turbo's, that is a poker bet.

Never know.

They can blow in an instant. Especially if there is a lack of oil maintenance. On those turbo's, mobile 1 is the best oil. You can't cheap out there.

Funny fact, a client once brought his car back to the dealership, engine blown to bits, stating he had replaced the engine oil on schedule, I asked if he had receipts? Yes he did.

Then I understood. He used Walmart regular oil, engine never made it past the warranty time for sure. No way was GM going to pay for that.

I said, buddy, your shyte out of luck. The cruze is a very nice looking car, but time will tell if GM makes improvements on that engine.

6. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    The 1.8l non turbo is not much any better.

Like I said before, the cruze is a sweet looking ride, but everything craps out on it, from the wipers to the rims.

I just think they put that design together too quickly, smashed it on the market, thats when the recalls started. And client complaints galore.

Everybody I know, client or otherwise, loves the look, but the car sucks.

I am now lucky, I work in a very remote region, I ride whatever is available for free, so no need to invest, for now.

But when I come back from the tundra, I am going toyota all day!! Or another BMW 325i.

7. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    I know my response is long, but I must say, that old BMW that I bought back in the day, I could put a cigarette on the engine, rev it, and the cig would stay standing, So those inline six's were flat out awesome.

Ok, enough said here. Hope your son doesn't total that scion again. But life is a learning curve.

8. NickD

NickD wrench

Major problem with the turbo in this car was that very thin oil feed line, and if Dexos SAE Grade SN was not used, it would plug up, also the waste gate spring would break.

We had a 2012 2LT with an MT, no telling how the previous owner drove it, with that hydraulic inherently auto adjusting clutch, can be good one day, go to the floor the next.

Last June, my wife was rear ended by a drunk driving an SUV going around about 25 mph, she received minor injuries, but is okay now, nothing left of the Cruze, is in its final resting place, not much of it left to be repaired. Airbags did not go off, but the seat belt exploded.

Another good question GM dealers were charge 40 bucks more for Dexos oil, when you could buy SAE grade SN for only three bucks more for a five quart bottle, can only ask if the previous owner changed his own oil like I did or paid 40 bucks more?

Feel you made the right decision.