CV joints 05' Corolla

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by BC, Nov 15, 2017.

1. BC

BC Full Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Toyota
    MODEL:Corolla
    YEAR:2005
    MILES:107,000
    ENGINE:1.8
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....

Vehicle has a thumping sound so I jacked up the front, put it in drive and turn the wheels back and forth to see if it gets worse but makes no difference. It is worse on acceleration or when up off the ground it starts in around 30 mph. I think its the cv joint, but having a hard time determining driver side or right side. CV joint boots all look good and so I put my hand on the axle to see if I could move it around a bit and the driver side has more play in it than the passenger, but neither side feels what I would call loose.
    Any suggestion on determining which side is the problem?
    Thanks

2. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

When the drive wheels are up, and being turned in a forward gear by the engine, stop each wheel one-at-a-time. It should be obvious then which side it is. To stop a wheel, slip a wood 2 x 4 about 4 feet long in from the front of the tire and lift up, like you are trying to pry the car up higher.

3. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    Or just jack up one side at a time and run the wheel that is not on the ground.

4. jd

jd Hero Member

Is the Axle Nut tight? I could be all wet, but if the boots are still intact, and you don't hear the dreaded clicking when you turn tight (check left and right, forward and reverse)... Then I'm suspecting a Wheel Bearing.

5. BC

BC Full Member

Well, I jacked the car up and when turning the wheel right or left I don't hear any clicking at all. But when you get up to about 35 mph you can hear it and feel the vibration in the seat, sounds kind of like a thumping. The steering wheel however dose not vibrate at all. And it dose the same no matter what direction you have the wheel in, straight or to the right or left. Driving on the road I hear no clicking sounds at all either. So I jacked the car up again today and did see some grease coming out of the inner boot on the passenger side, see photo.
    So grabbing the tire when its off the ground I feel no play right to left or up & down. I put the car in neutral and spun the wheel by hand and nothing either.
    I'll check back in later today.
    Thank you

Attached Files:

6. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    Your description of thumping and 35 mph makes me want to suggest a bad tire. Replace each wheel and tire with the spare, one at a time, and see if the problem disappears.

7. jd

jd Hero Member

If you decide to replace the CV's, I suggest either taking the half shaft(s) to a driveline shop or buying NEW axle(s). That's unless you don't plan to keep the Corolla much longer. I learned from a driveline shop that the "rebuilding" process for these consists of grinding the wear surfaces in the joint bases to an oversize. Then they install new larger Balls, etc. to get back to OEM tightness. Problem is, the bases are only surface hardened, so when they're oversized they're also soft. Rebuilt won't last like new or original. The driveline shops install new, quality, joints.

8. BC

BC Full Member

10-4 on the Tires & rebuild. I'll do the tire change over first see what happens then if that works out ok then replacing the boot cover should do it. I haven't had a chance to inspect the boot cover to see why it's leaking out of the end of the cover but If that's all it is I should be able to reclamp maybe? or new cover and grease?
    Thank you for the great advice!

9. BC

BC Full Member

Tires/rims are ok, bearings seem to be ok, so looks like the right cv joint making all the noise. Looking for a driveline shop in my area so thank you for the advice!

10. jd

jd Hero Member

Do you need any procedures to pull the half shaft(s) or such? All I have is a DIY Haynes Manual. Others here may have better information. I've found that in most cases I can Remove Axle Nut, Raise and Support Vehicle on Frame/Body/Unibody (just NOT the suspension), Disconnect Lower Ball Joint, Pry Control Arm Down while Half Shaft In to drop Axle out of Bearing, Pry Inner CV away from Transaxle. \
    This may involve lowering the transaxle fluid level but I haven't had to on Buick, Toyota, Subaru, maybe others. All were automatic, and I haven't done this on our 2006 Corolla CE Five Speed Manual. Hmmm...Yet.
    Inner CV has to be dislodged with a Jolt while Prying. Usually there's a Snap Ring.

11. BC

BC Full Member

I appreciate the offer and info jd. I'll take your advice and look for the snap ring if it has one. It looks pretty straight forward and I'll probable replace the seal while I'm in there, I got one from the dealership the other day. Probably won't be able to get to it for a few days yet, and... I'm going to have to let some of this turkey digest first! :)
    Thanks!