Dual batteries in e350

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by billj, Aug 27, 2017.

1. billj

billj MR BILL

Owner MR BILLS Handyman services
    Home Page:
    Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: Ford
    MODEL: E350
    YEAR: 2006
    MILES: 168,500
    ENGINE: 5.4 liter
    DESCRIBE ISSUE.... Battery dies because of cargo lights. I kill a battery in about two years because I have seven LED cargo lights and a cab light that stay on for about 10 minutes after I open a door. I run a Handyman Business. I have to charge the battery about every 10 days. The charging system is in good order. I even installed a volt meter in the cab to monitor charging and voltage levels. Battery will be at 12.6 volts when fully charged, or driven a distance. Voltage output is 13.8 to 14.2 Yesterday the battery was at 11.0 volts... you guessed it... no start.....jump from a customer. My goal is to add a dual battery system with an isolator system that charges the main battery and then the secondary battery. My question is : For the time being can I install an auxiliary battery and run cables to it in parallel from the main battery. This way I still am running 12 volts, but two batteries. I have two brand new batteries here, a 850 CCA for the main and a 770 CCA for the auxiliary. This would be temporary until I get a dual battery install kit and all the extras I need, and the time to do it all. Now I need to hear Yay or Nay and why please. Thank you.

2. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    I do not see any problem with two batteries, but why not install a switch that can turn off those pesky lights that are causing you the problem during the day when you do not need or want them.

3. billj

billj MR BILL

Home Page:
    JackC van.png Thanks for the reply. My van is full of "stuff" that is hard to find with seven cargo lights even during the day. I would like to add more lighting, but not sure that would be a good idea.

4. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    But with a switch you can turn it on when needed and off when you leave, thus eliminating the 10 minute automatic delay that seems to run down the battery.
    Just a thought.

Or, how about a strong flashlight?

5. jd

jd Hero Member

If your seven lights are incandescent, maybe like backup light bulbs, you could re-lamp with LED's and get as much light from seven as you do now, with less amps draw than from one...

6. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    He states they are already LED.

7. dabunk

dabunk wrench

Home Page:
    All our chevy vans with diesel have dual batteries in parallel, not a problem

8. billj

billj MR BILL

Home Page:
    Thanks guys. I know I can always rely on you to give me information I can trust.

9. jd

jd Hero Member

Sorry for missing LED in about the first line of the thread...

You could set it up like an RV. Second battery is Deep Cycle (trolling motor battery etc.) connected to the road engine battery with an isolating relay. This relay energizes when the ignition is in RUN, charging the Deep Cycle. Engine off, the Deep Cycle gets discharged by your seven LED's, but Engine battery isn't because the Relay isn't energized. Crank up the Van, Relay energizes, Alternator charges BOTH batteries.

10. billj

billj MR BILL

Home Page:
    jd, Great idea. I might just ask you more information down the road if I may. Size of Deep Cycle, rating of isolating relay, etc.

11. jd

jd Hero Member

[​IMG]

Very simplified example.

1. Many don't use the Fuses
    2. That Solenoid is Three Wire so it has to be Grounded
    3. The "ON" wire is any 12V source that's live only when the Engine is Running
    4. Motor homes add a push button switch from House Battery Positive (or that terminal on the Relay) to the "ON" terminal of the Relay. Then you can push the button to have the House Battery "Jump Start" the Starting Battery

I can help you source a Relay or a "Smart Isolator." Just be sure the Relay is Continuous Duty. It may look like a Starter Relay for a Riding Mower, but Mower can get by with a Momentary (till it starts) Relay. You need Continuous for charging.

12. billj

billj MR BILL

Home Page:

I can't remember to turn off a flashlight. Always killing batteries (AA, AAA, D) I buy Heavy Duty batteries at the Dollar Store because I just burn up the Alkaline
    Thanks jd, looks not too complicated or expensive. How well will this work with two conventional batteries. 850 CCA and 770 CCA both new batteries

13. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    It will work just fine. For your application you will not see any appreciable difference.

14. jd

jd Hero Member

This Relay [​IMG] at
    https://www.amazon.com/Stinger-SGP3...04122286&sr=8-7&keywords=battery+isolator+kit
    will do it. It's four wire, so one of the two small terminals needs to be grounded. From there, all you really need is wire and terminals. If your lighting battery is a regular "starting" battery rated in CCA, it won't tolerate deep discharge as well as a "trolling" battery rated in AH (amp hours) will. So take that into account when your replace.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  15. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Hello, me being the cheap ass guy I am, why don't you check out the local auctions and you may find a old ambulance that has all the goodies you need for the conversion.