egr valves

Have a couple of 2007 Volvo 780's, question is, what part of the egr valves fail? Do they fill with soot, do they overheat? Do the electronics fail? Can a guy remove them and clean them if they're acting up, or if they're registering codes is it already too late?speeking of codes, anyone aware of anyplace a guy can get a list of volvo fault codes? Spent 240K and the dealer won't give it up? Would be nice when these occor on the road, in the middle of the night, to be able to know what system is being problematic.

Having your fingers jumping on the keyboard would lead you to Actron where you type your code & get the description, & http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com for repair data base.
good luck wrench
& having my glass on I would realize I was in HD forum, I apologize.
wrench

SideWinder

Thanks wrench, but I checked that site out and seems to be geared towards cars, a 780 is a semi/tractor, by the way, my trucks have the volvo d12 motors, for the codes. Any more resources would be great! Thanks

Ok this is abstract thought and a stretch. It has work for me bout 30/35% of the time. Type in the code and what it's on in your"search engine" (also web crawler) and hope for the best. Sometimes things crossover for info.

With EGR's can be an electric step motor type, a vacuum single diaphragm type of a dual diaphragm type.

Electrics are the most difficult to test requires what they call a quadrature waveform, where on the the phases is reversed to either open or close it. Single vacuum diaphragm types are the easiest with a hand held vacuum pump, should hold a vacuum, passages should be blocked when closed, heck, I just blow into it, and free when opened. Always can find carbon in these, choke and carb cleaner spray does a good job.

Dual diaphragm types have both an upper and lower diaphragm top one with a hose connection, test like the single, but the lower depends on intake manifold vacuum, not easy to make a good vacuum connection.

Worse case scenario is when they don't open. Purpose of these is to reduce NOx's, who cares, but exceedingly high combustion chambers will occur that will burn out exhaust valves and even put holes in pistons.

Practically all newer vehicles should have a positive EGR flow sensor. But the problem with a CEL is that it will come on regardless of what the problem is and you don't know if your gas cap is loose or your engine is frying up.

Got Torque Pro for my smart phone with a good quality Elm327 and put problems into my Cruze, seems to work very well in telling me what's wrong.

Ian Hawk does a heck of a job with updated, could visit his site at http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=3.0
and see what he has for your Volvo. Assume its still OBD II.