Engine Swap

Hello this is my first post here so if I have this in the wrong place let me know.

Ok here it goes... I have a 92 Chevy Blazer 4.3 6cyl 4x4 It needs a rebuild(smoking pretty bad). I have started restoring a 1954 Chevy 3100 truck, I want to transfer the 4.3 over to it, computer and all. The blazer I have has Digital instrument gauges. I know it will be alot of work but here are my questions.

1. Can you convert back to Analog Gauges on this engine and Transmission.
2. Would this be more Fuel efficient than a 350/383
3. Or would there be a better 3rd option

I want this truck for an everyday driver I'm not looking for a muscle truck here I want a fuel efficient cruiser. So should I go big engine so it works less or the 4.3? I will also be getting another Transmission I'm dropping the 4x4. Is this something that can be done, I'm not afraid of the work it will take.

Jim Davis

Well, Im gonna chime in on just a couple of points, dont know about the switch to the analog gauges, but as for the 4.3 and fuel mileage, I personally never saw one with an automatic and 4wd drive especially that got that great a gas mileage. with work the swap could be done, but that old truck is heavy and with that engine, you probably again wont be looking at very great mpg's. again, just my opinion.

J

Jason76

Thanks for the reply :) When I say good gas milage I am looking for 20-22 highway. I meant good for a truck lol, also the transmission will be converted to 2 wheel drive. Called and talked to the guys at the Chevy dealer ship and was told the 54 off the show room floors was 300pounds more than my blazer. Is 20-22 to much to ask out of this truck? if so then its going to be a tire shredding weekend warrior ;)

Jim Davis

Just my $.02, but that truck is a box, and I still havent personally seen that great a gas mileage out of any 4.3 no matter if it was an auto or a manual, especially in a truck.