ebontrager

Make
Cadillac
Model
Escalade ESV
Year
Miles
Engine
So, I have this 04 esv w/ 184K miles on it that we bought almost a year ago. Shortly after we got it the check engine light came on showing the P2761 code. It was very intermittent and would come on and then go back off at times. We returned to the dealer and they had a hard time getting it to reappear. When it finally did, I had a shop diagnose the problem. The result was that the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid was bad. We had the dealer replace that part "supposedly." A few months later that same code popped back up. I just had the issue diagnosed once again and the result, you guessed it, faulty torque converter clutch solenoid. I don't know if the original dealer actually replaced the solenoid or if they just returned it to us w/o having done any work. Since it was so intermittent, we wouldn't have known for quite some time anyway.

My theory is that since it was such an old vehicle they just wanted to get out of their 30 day warranty w/ as little cost as possible, and since we lived almost 2 hours away, figured we wouldn't make the effort to deal any further with them.

Anyway, my question is, are there multiple solenoids that could give this code (giving them the benefit of the doubt that they could have just replaced the wrong solenoid), and how difficult is it to drop the pan on that transmission and replace the solenoid here in my driveway. There are literally no driving issues associated with this code and it is the only code that comes up.​

bp042665

hunting nut
depends on what transmission you have but yes you can do this in the drive way i am here to walk you through this i own a transmission shop so i can help the 4L60E transmission pan is like a square and the 4L80E is long rectangerler with like a rounded end at the mount side

ebontrager

thank you for your willingness to help out. I may wait a bit to tear it apart as we have a little snow on the ground right now. I will keep you posted

As it turns out the dealer that fixed it the first time said that the solenoid and internal wiring harness that they installed carry a 12 month unlimited warranty. If those parts are found faulty within that time, parts and labor should be covered. Hopefully that holds true. My worry is that they will open it up and find something else is the issue. Could a converter going bad produce that code (P2761) as well?? or cause it to keep popping up.

As for what can set that code. The solenoid could be the problem. There could be a fluid leak causing low pressure. A seal problem. Could be the clutch itself in the converter is slipping from worn frictions. Did this thing have a problem where the trans would lock and unlock and just got worse and worse and that's when you took it and they replaced the solenoid? Sometimes what happens is when the solenoid starts to fail the lock and release cycle will wear down the clutch in the TC. We made it a practice to replace the TC and solenoid together to get the warranty. While we were in there we would check and see that the valve was moving well within the bore so we didn't get a come back and need to take the valve body off.

Thank you for the information. It sounds like I am not the only one that has had this problem or one like it. Since there is the possibility of some of the work being done under warranty, we are taking it to our dealer tomorrow to see about the parts that were already replaced. I am hopeful that they will find them faulty and that we don't have bigger problems.