Make
Chevy
Model
Captiva
Year
Miles
Engine
2.4 Eco-Tec
Anybody hear if or knows the disposition of a class action law suit filed against GM regarding excessive oil consumption? This car goes through three quarts of oil in less than two months. Doesn't register on the dip stick, and the kicker, no oil light. Getting expensive.

grcauto

Do you have documentation of consumption through the dealer? Paper trail through a registered repair facility?

©hester

Not sure of the reasoning behind your questions, but the short answer is no. All we have are receipts for 13 quarts of oil over the last three months. I told the client the dealer would have to do an oil consumption test. I also mentioned I would do some research to see if GM was offering any assistance with repairs.

I was surprised to hear that synthetic oil doesn't smoke. For as mush oil the car is going through it should be billowing like a chimney, because there are no puddles on the ground and no other signs of leakage.

Thx for the reply.

engine requires DEXOS be sure the documents mention that.
there was a oil filter issue Part No# I think

The TSB has been superseded several times the last Alpha character may be higher than my attachment character

Attachments

©hester

engine requires DEXOS be sure the documents mention that.
there was a oil filter issue Part No# I think

The TSB has been superseded several times the last Alpha character may be higher than my attachment character

Perfect thx. This is a neighbor I have been trying to help out for a month or so. She claims to have had full synthetic oil changes. Dexos? Who knows. I have been putting Dexos in it. Thx again I will pass on the 411. GM assistance available?

grcauto

If I had a customer come into the shop with a late model vehicle and it was using oil I FIRMLY and gently explained why they need to keep proper records of the oil changes with mileage and oil type and filter. Over the years I'm been able to help several people get engines replaced that they otherwise would have a very hard time WITHOUT the proper documentation. I cannot stress this enough. I don't care how big the manufacturer is when the records are there they WILL do the right thing. If the records are not there.....it's worse than a crap shoot because you actually have a chance in a crap shoot.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
 Rod bearings can be reused if there is not any excessive scoring. Some light wear marks are
acceptable

If your looking at the wear marks, you a new york minute away from swapping them any way. Nope, ain't going to happen. Back log on parts, to many clients, not enough excuses to go round.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I dove into many, all had excessive wear everywhere. Yeah, you need to R & R pistons and rings, but GM holds my hand and does not want a few bucks more coming out of the exceutive collective for a few main caps let alone the rod caps and then they tell you to drill a hole which was the source of the whole design failure to begin witth.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
As an old GM tech, I was ashamed to do so many oil consumption reports, and you could just tell some service guy was talking to a manager, just keep the client coming back saying it's normal, maybe they will buy another one and we won't have to dumptser dive for parts. Wat a joke, techs such as I who wrote memos such as above were invited to shut up and had hands tied, even with said oil reports assiduously wrote up. BS in a big way, tha's why I have never owned anything with this engine design. Live for toyota.

Only thing I ever recommended to friends and family in regards to gm products was the pontiac vibe.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ever seen an engine rebuild under a dime, it kind of looks like a nascar swap, with no regards to longevity. Get it out of the bay fast, don't put away your sockets cuz you just going to take them out again cuz we have a shyte load to do this week. LOL

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Not a very good GM moment. But hey, I was also a mopar tech for a good while also, no better there in the BS dept. At least with mopar, they had a slightly different method of bean counting. That or I had a really good general manager at that time. :cool:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Just for laughs, when I worked for chev pontiac dev, I would go take my smoke break with the biggest wrench I could find in my tool box and say good luck to every eco tech car client coming in. This is what they tell me to use on your car.o_O

Safe to say, my pension plan did not last long there. :p