Excessive oil use GM 2.4 Eco-Tec

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
As a tech, it is shamefull knowing full well this nicely maintained car ain't going to make it past 200k km's even with all the sweat and hopes the client will come back and maybe buy another car. Might keep my job. :confused::giveup:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Then came the gm collapse, fixing what was supposed to be high end buicks and such. Boss had to pay mucho dinero to revamp the dealership cuz half or more of the signs of the cars we were supposed to sell were just not sold anymore. But they put that engine in everything.

Kind of like that old grandma with the red hot franks sauce. I put that shyte in everything.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Nope, I ain't done yet. Ever seen a eco tech engine do what it supposed to do, which is do 400k km's with original timing chain? Ain't going to happen. I have seen more succes with cheap a$$ mexican made VW's with OEM t-belt.

:eek:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
You don't dexos in your car? Like something is wrong with you? Well then f u, great scapegoat to not stand by the product. You got to use that even in the vettes and saturn pontiacs turbos. You want a good BS story, that is one of them.

©hester

If I had a customer come into the shop with a late model vehicle and it was using oil I FIRMLY and gently explained why they need to keep proper records of the oil changes with mileage and oil type and filter. Over the years I'm been able to help several people get engines replaced that they otherwise would have a very hard time WITHOUT the proper documentation. I cannot stress this enough. I don't care how big the manufacturer is when the records are there they WILL do the right thing. If the records are not there.....it's worse than a crap shoot because you actually have a chance in a crap shoot.
I understand what you are saying about having a paper trail. Not sure on the how complete their maintenance records are, but I will pass on all the 411 and concerns,. It is what it is. Thx for all the replies.

grcauto

 Rod bearings can be reused if there is not any excessive scoring. Some light wear marks are
acceptable

If your looking at the wear marks, you a new york minute away from swapping them any way. Nope, ain't going to happen. Back log on parts, to many clients, not enough excuses to go round.
What kind of idiot would have the engine torn down and not replace the bearings. Absolutely ludicrous....

©hester

engine requires DEXOS be sure the documents mention that.
there was a oil filter issue Part No# I think

The TSB has been superseded several times the last Alpha character may be higher than my attachment character
Problem resolved, traded it in on a new one. Thx for your help.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Or the Neon headgasket fiasco. Make the techs just jack the head up a half inch and slide a new headgasket in and retorque and hope it makes it out of warranty! Amazing what dealers will do!
Second that. ^^^

Whip it out, whip it in, don't even torque it, hammer it home with the impact gun. How many guy's did I see do that?, Lost count. Like I wrote before, like a nascar or top fuel engine teardown in a rush.

Last edited: