Fuel Pump

Had to purchase a fuel pressure tester in 1987, got an Actron Professional Made in the USA from Dayton Ohio. Still make them, but have no idea where today. Has a drain tube with it, was good if you can hot wire the fuel pump, to pump out water from the bottom of your tank. Also have an electric fuel pump, filler tubes are so long now, can't even syphon the gas.

Trick is to find which of the three hose with fuel evaporative systems that is the feed line.

Generally recommend to stick with an OEM, at rockauto.com price range is between 70-200 dollars, may want to try one of the cheaper types, do have a rebuilt kid for $37.00. Some are in the 500 buck range, ha, a brand new Made in the USA Carter fuel pump for my 82 P-30 motorhome was 18 bucks and took me 15 minutes to install it.

E10 is also crazy driving up the price of our food, cost more to make it than ethanol free gas, but our lovely government charges a lot less for it because they want us to use it.

Ha, for my old 65 Buick, could make my fuel pump like brand new again for a buck. Times sure have changed. 80's Honda's had an external fuel pump, because they were so easy to replace, never had problems with them. Older intank pumps used carbon brushes, they sure didn't last long, some newer ones are using brushless motors. Some vehicles have an access plate, no need to drop the tank, most do not.

When does a fuel pump go bad? Just after you fill the tank.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Nope, standard Mopar/GM adapter. Only time really you will need asian type banjo is when fixing a pontiac vibe or a some korean job sold under gm or other pseudo amercian muscle company. :eek:

Those adapters can be had for cheap also on ebay and will fit pretty much any fuel gauge kit that doesn't come with a full adapter set.

If you are serious about doing some diy'er work, or have numerous makes and models in the family and your the go to guy for repairing them, one of these cheap kits might come in handy, it comes with pretty much any adapter you will ever need.

Usually when I do work for friends and family and I need a special tool, I just ask them to buy it for me and that takes care of my time and my hassle, they still save money from going to a shop and I get more tools for my home or tool box at work and I ALWAYS get a free case of beer out of the deal, get to chit chat, have fun, talk shop etc.

I really haven't paid for tools in a long time except for high end scanners and laptops and such. I have my pro kit fuel tester at work, but if I needed to have one at home, I would ask them (friend or family) to go half and half on this kit. Cheap as it may be, if I pull it out only twice or so a year, should be fine and accurate for the most part. I think I may just order it, as I now live 100km's round trip from work, so go getting tools at the shop is not as before where I would only need to cross the street.

Here is a link, probably chinese, but what isn't now days?

https://www.amazon.com/Autool-TU-44...rd_wg=rbOmw&psc=1&refRID=GTX4ZHJ3Z7X5PD20XSPP

I like the inline adapter with the shut off valve, that is a sweet option I have for mine at work when I need to tap into a fuel rail that doesn't have a service port and I need to hang my gauge on the wiper blades when I test drive a usually pesky fuel problem.

Boomer

Am I seeing the right information? Do you have to raise the bed to be able to lower the gas tank???

Ha, raise the bed so you do not have to drop the tank. If your fuel pump did work, perhaps a dirty relay or switch contact, a relay contact is just like touching your index finger to your thumb, just one tiny spec of dirt in there won't make contact or get an erratic contact.

For industrial safety and a reliable contact, we used a sliding contact relay, self cleaning, even better was using a mercury wetted contact, but this EPA banned these, but was okay with these morons to use tons of this stuff in CFL bulbs that are tossed by the billions.

Relay contacts can be burnished and cleaned, telephone companies were doing this around the clock and cost a small fortune, but touch tone and solid state got rid of this huge expense. Touch tone saved them millions, but what did they do? Charge more for it.

Last edited:

Boomer

I decided to drive the truck to work today. About 16 miles or so. Ran fine. Got to work, shut it off, tried to restart and it just cranked. I could not hear the pump running.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Well then, you just got your answer. Probably time for a new pump. Just make sure you do check out that ground a rear frame rail since you got that rear ended just a short while ago. And no, you do not have to raise the bed to lower the tank.

Two straps holding it to frame should be 15mm. If your doing this in a drive way, it can be done, but tougher when full.

Just keep a floor jack applying pressure while you release the straps, then lower tank enough to get to connections. Beware, these are plastic lines, so go easy. I usually, actually, always blows compressed air in the fittings, around the connectors before attempting to release them. At this point, you can do voltage tests to confirm pump is dead. Verify that ground I talked about also. If all is good, pull off fuel filler tube and breather tube. You can then lower it enough to comfortably get in there to undo the connections at pump.

This usually is an hour job on a lift. In a driveway, another beast I imagine since I hardly ever do anything in a drive way except for brakes and timing belts and such.

Happy Easter long weekend, I am off to buy chocolate for the family, probably do an egg hunt.

Boomer

The truck has been sitting for 2 hours and it starts up. No starting fluid or anything.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Probably the pump cooled down, get her home if you can, then attack the job.

Again, have a good Easter long weekend. mine started today for some reason. Usually I get monday off and work the friday. This year, bos switched that around.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Oh, BTW, soak those 15mm head bolts I talked about that hold the straps. If you don't have "loose all", just use tranny fluid. Tranny fluid is great for breaking rusted bolts and nuts. I always have a mixture of varsol and trans fluid in a squirt can lying around. Way cheaper than buying cans of "loose all" stuff. I often find my mixture works better than the "as seen on tv" wonder cans.:cool:;):bat: Soak em for a good while, will be easier to remove them with out heating them. I hate heating anything near a tank. To many good ppl I have known either got burned or died in a garage fire. They weren't friends, but ppl I dealt with cuz of the trade. Just last year, another died in his shop. The lot is now just gravel.

Another example of why ppl should never work on cars alone when attempting repairs under their stuff. This fall, another down the street,or should I say, close/next village, just changing out his tires on his chevy. Died alone from being crushed by histruck. Was all over the news. But that is what happens when you get to comfortable. http://www.journaldequebec.com/2017/11/12/un-homme-meurt-ecrase-sous-une-voiture-a-sainte-claire

Article said he was swapping tires and trying to fix an oil leak. By the pictures, you can see the winter tires still not on the SUV, and that mickey mouse jack is not a tool to use to creep under a car. And gravel is not a safe surface not matter what you use. Ppl die like this all the time trying to get something done without thinking about how horrendous a death like that can be. Imagine your slowly getting crushed, no air going in or out, can't call for help, nobody around to crank the car off you. Shyty way to go man.

Last edited:

Boomer

Oh, BTW, soak those 15mm head bolts I talked about that hold the straps. If you don't have "loose all", just use tranny fluid. Tranny fluid is great for breaking rusted bolts and nuts. I always have a mixture of varsol and trans fluid in a squirt can lying around. Way cheaper than buying cans of "loose all" stuff. I often find my mixture works better than the "as seen on tv" wonder cans.:cool:;):bat: Soak em for a good while, will be easier to remove them with out heating them. I hate heating anything near a tank. To many good ppl I have known either got burned or died in a garage fire. They weren't friends, but ppl I dealt with cuz of the trade. Just last year, another died in his shop. The lot is now just gravel.

Another example of why ppl should never work on cars alone when attempting repairs under their stuff. This fall, another down the street,or should I say, close/next village, just changing out his tires on his chevy. Died alone from being crushed by histruck. Was all over the news. But that is what happens when you get to comfortable. http://www.journaldequebec.com/2017/11/12/un-homme-meurt-ecrase-sous-une-voiture-a-sainte-claire

Article said he was swapping tires and trying to fix an oil leak. By the pictures, you can see the winter tires still not on the SUV, and that mickey mouse jack is not a tool to use to creep under a car. And gravel is not a safe surface not matter what you use. Ppl die like this all the time trying to get something done without thinking about how horrendous a death like that can be. Imagine your slowly getting crushed, no air going in or out, can't call for help, nobody around to crank the car off you. Shyty way to go man.
I ALWAYS use jack stands. My dad used to get after me about that. He was right. I’m fortunate enough to have a garage so I have concrete as well.

So you still believe it’s the pump? Many people seem to think when a fuel pump goes, it goes.

If the ground connection is proven to be good, testing at the Prime connector would be a great way to narrow down the possible failure points.

Boomer

If the ground connection is proven to be good, testing at the Prime connector would be a great way to narrow down the possible failure points.
Thanks Dan. I’ll have to see if I can find it’s ground point. I do know one terminal at the connector had +12V. I haven’t tried jumper to jumper it yet. After it sits a little bit things start happening