Subaru
Model
Forester
Year
Miles
Engine
2.5L Non Turbo
2015 Subaru Forester, Vin: JF2SJABC9FH582579, 54382 MILES, CVT type TR580

It has been a while since I have posted, a little rusty at using the site.

Recently, I attempted a front differential oil change. The draining portion went as planned but for the refill the wrong plug was removed and about 1.5QT of gear oil was poured into the front converter case on the driver’s side. On this vehicle the refill is on the passenger side of the tranny converter case.

So far I am unable to figure out where the oil has gone. Looking at the shop manual, the converter case houses the front differential, torque converter and transmission oil pump. Since no gear oil came out of the differential drain it can be safely assumed it did not go there. I do not believe the torque converter housing is liquid tight, so if it went there it should of leaked out by now. That leaves the oil pump housing or just an unused cavity in the casing. If this cavity is in fact unused (which is unlikely) and isolated then the tranny might need to come out so the oil can be poured back out. I am attaching pictures, one shows the plug that the fluid went in, the other is one pix of the converter case drawing. A third picture is a shot of the hole that was used for the fill. It is hard to see, but in the case cavity shot there are round openings maybe 1.5” diameter on the left & right. Looking directly forward it appears that there is some sort of sensor pathway.

If the gear oil ends up in the transmission then a flush should hopefully clean it out. If it is an isolated cavity then maybe just leaving there won’t really hurt anything. I was able to have discussion with a Subaru tech at my local dealership, he did not know where the oil ends up either. The vehicle has not been started.

Does anyone know this CVT assembly well enough to comment on where the oil might be? Trying to figure out how much trouble I am in.

Thanks

Attachments

bp042665

hunting nut
i have a rule of thumb here when in dout drain it out . i believe that might be a test port for pressure but i cant get any info for you but if you drain the cvt fluid out and flush it good you should be ok ALL Data show 3 pressure plugs on the driver side of case just behind the bell housing

Last edited:
Pressure plugs? Well that makes a little sense. Let me see what type testing happens there, it might give a clue where the oil went. By the way when I first removed the plug it had a faint gear oil odor. It might be assocatd with the differential. Thank you for the response bp042665 this an avenue I had not thought of.

Got a reply from a Subaru technician, he made the same mistake back when the TR580 CVT first came out. The oil ends up on the CVT side. The solutions is to drain then refill with CVT fluid. Fortunately the vehicle has not been started so the gear oil has not circulated. So bp042665 you are correct, drain it out, the oil should come out. Thanks....