grand cherokee 4.0 198400

coupons

Has a miss. I have changed the spark plugs, ing coil , cam sen, injectors, When cold the miss seems to be gone then as the motor wams up the miss starts i also have checked the fuel pressure hits 60psi would the timing chain have anything to do with this. Ty for your help.or anything else for that matter of the miss

billr

wrench
Staff member
What model-year is this; have any trouble-codes been set?

Not knowing what year it is, we don't know if it is timing chain or belt. But, either way, it would be very unlikely to cause the type of miss you describe. In fact I think almost impossible.

You did not say anything about spark plug wires, which would seem to be very high on the suspect list.

coupons

sry 99 changed plugs and this vehicle has the long coil pack with the plug wires att and yes i have changed it

kev2

wrench
Hey coupons
can you clear this up- ok I read as a 1999 jeep grand cherokee...4.0L, 198k miles, engine
seams to have a miss,
> codes- P1281? P1391? P0352? P0351? that all the codes?
> You changed parts- what brands did you use- YES it matters. did you clear codes after coil install?
> I always ask - vehicle STOCK- no chips proms miracle filters, thermostat? fresh air kit? etc?

Have you cked the FPR... Anyway answer the questions,, jeeps are often a easy trouble shot - BASICS

billr

wrench
Staff member
What am I missing here? I read the P1281 and P1391 as being for a diesel engine!

kev2

wrench
I think the poster will add some info that will help us help them...

I show- manufacturer specific, and they love to make model specific just to make it easy...
P1281-ENGINE IS COLD TOO LONG
P1391-INTERMITTENT LOSS OF CMP OR CKP

billr

wrench
Staff member
So... are you saying the (manufacturer-specific) OBD2 codes shown on this forum are bogus???

http://www.batauto.com/troublecodes/OBD2/Pcodes.shtml

That sure wouldn't be helpful!

Common problem high miles 4.0 with multiple cylinder misfire codes. If you reset codes and they come back and they will and the codes for missfire are 300 to 306 and the numbers change then most likely you need to replace exhaust valve springs. This is the only thing I have seen to help stop this from coming back. Now mind you it can be a number of other things like bad fuel, bad coil pack, bad or leaking injectors and so on. Good way to check if this is your problem. If the light does not come on in city driving is a good indicator. Light will usually come on when going over 55 mph on a small hill or load. Light will come on and may start flashing. Have done over a dozen of these for this problem and not one has come back.
So when I hear a cust say I have changed everything and the code still comes back. I rec exhaust valve spring there is a tsb for this but it tells you to rotate the springs. I found is is better to replace them. when you take off the rocker arm assembly look at the top of the valves it should have a dot in the center. If not then this is your problem. The dot indicates that the valves have been turning as the engine is running. No dot means the valves are not turning which is what is causing the problem. You can try some seafoam both in the oil and in the fuel this sometimes helps. So if it is driving you nuts and nothing else works exhaust spring will help. If you are keeping vehicle you can have a valve job done for a better repair. but it will cost you a bit more. The vehicle will also run fine until the light comes on then you may feel a difference. HTH Greasemonkey :)

LynnM

Some where I read about a problem with the distributor drive gear. Worth checking if nothing else found