Hard 1-2 shift Ford Ranger

Discussion in 'Transmission Forum' started by billj, Oct 17, 2008.

1. billj

billj MR BILL

Owner MR BILLS Handyman services
    Home Page:
    1999 Ford Ranger V6, 4R44E transmission 4 speed automatic with overdrive, 83,000 miles. I bought the truck with 36,000 miles on it. It had a very rough 1-2 shift especially in cooler/cold weather first thing in the morning.. Slippage and a clunk during the 1-2 shift for the first, or sometimes the second shift. After the first or second 1-2 shift it shifted just fine. I took it to the dealer at about 37,000 miles and they back flushed the transmission with new fluid, but did not change the filter. Well it did not fix the problem. At about 82,000 miles I took to an independent transmission place and had him drop the pan and change the filter. He also said my truck needed a friction modifier added to the fluid. Well the long and short of the story is the transmission works great now. No slippage, no hard shift.
    Was the modifier added because they used a one size fits all fluid, or did that help the transmission slipping. Could the filter have been bad at 37,000 miles?
    Why did I wait until 82,000 miles to take it back in, ummm ::)

2. crunch

crunch wrench

Only your dealer that done the service can answer that.

But a back flush without a filter service or proper fluid is a piss poor service job. :ROFL

That transmission should be serviced with the mercon V transmission fluid.

If any other type fluid was used flush it out and add the right fluid.

3. billj

billj MR BILL

Home Page:
    I agree, I do not like the idea of a back flush without a filter change, but I was told by the dealer the transmission filter did not need to be changed until about 75,000 miles or so.

4. Transman

Transman Receptionist & Complaint Dept.

Home Page:
    Add here... He lied, LOL. Glad the modifier worked but I suspect the trans shop also adjusted the bands, The book misses by a mile. The pros know this and adjust the bands properly which usually takes care of most of the shifting problems.
    Don't EVEN get me started on the "Flush" back or otherwise, sigh. Transman

5. billj

billj MR BILL

Home Page:
    Transman, I bet you are right on about adjusting the bands. I hadn't thought of that. The biggest problem I have with the dealer shops is that I feel they really don't listen to your what the problem is. I had a front end noise and I thought I had bad inner tie rods, even told the dealer so. After several trips to the dealer, and ball joints, bushings, links, etc., I bought new inner tie rods and replaced them myself (thanks to help from the good people at BAT). Thanks, I just needed to vent a little.

6. Transman

Transman Receptionist & Complaint Dept.

Home Page:
    LOL< Venting is part of what we do here, moreso in the mechanics forum, ROFL. I gotta add here it's not just the dealers that don't listen. How many shops I have worked at where a customer comes in complaining either about how the trans won't shift right and the writer just poo poo's saying the customer is just trying to get his money's worth. Trust me! The customer has many better things to do with his time then come back to a repair shop and try to explain how his car doesn't work right. It doesn't give his satisfaction, it's a pain. If you, as the owner, don't take the time to fix the error or problem then you lose a customer. MY crew know my feelings on this and take the time to get the job right! I am not talking about the customer that had an air filter installed and now complains his spare tire is now flat type, there is a difference. LOL ;) venting, Transman