heat issue

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by oddone1975, Dec 29, 2017.

1. oddone1975

oddone1975 Sr. Member

I think it's fairly obvious it's not getting up to temp when I run it at high rpm it throws ok heat I figured the cardboard blocking radiator would act in similar fassion to closing off upper radiator hose as my heater line is not off the t-stat housing but the water pump

2. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

Pinching the hose is going to be way more effective, I believe.

I'm assuming you don't have an official mechanics hose pinching tool, and not even some kind of wide wood-working clamp, so I suggested something more low-tech. Two sticks, pipes, bars, whatever...wrap string, rope, wire, zip-tie around both at one end, then put the hose between the sticks and squeeze like grandma's nutcracker. Then, fasten the other ends together. Don't get the contraption in the fan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    oddone1975 likes this.
  3. oddone1975

oddone1975 Sr. Member

Yes my guy is going to do that tomorrow and see what happens it's really my only option I can see at this point as cardboard isn't making much difference

4. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Two sticks about 6" long, and two pieces of all-thread about 6" long. Search online for "bearing separator" and the resulting pictures will explain what to make.

5. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    I may be trying to hit home a nail that has already been driven. I have to agree, 100%, completely with Bill's comment.

SO, my $.02 is.

If all suggestion in this thread still produce a no heat condition "IN THE TRUCK"

Stop fussing and buy a new heater core.

Why do I say this? I am a northern automotive technician and have had issues like this all my life. 99% of the time, even when you think the heater core is reversed flushed or whatever. The heater core is still blocked. No amount of flushing out the air lock/vapor lock whatever else term I can try to find in my french brain is going to change that.

6. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    You just answered you own question.

7. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    I am still a patient guy, sometimes not, but here is more proof. I was a technician for mopar for many years, have worked on zillions of ram's.

There was a thread here that talked about how sometimes, ppl like us that give out free advice are seen as snobbish. I think I want to change that. But in the mean time, if ppl that post here don't follow advice, what else can us FREE techs do?

Step 3 of following snapshot, read it carefully. If you don't find a solution, your not looking at the problem from a proper prospective. I love Sherlock holmes quotes, they fit MY logical thinking. As others here also. ;)

‘It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.’

‘Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.’

Screenshot (142).png

8. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    I guess that was my rant of the end of day. My back is tired from snow, I am going to retire, watch some UFC fights to give me more courage to affront the next day of my challenge in life which is going back to work in my day job.

@Oddone, I wish you all the luck, hope I didn't come on as condescending, and wish you will follow our advice to the upmost of your abilities. Also, happy new year to you.:):bat:

9. oddone1975

oddone1975 Sr. Member

Well we did the block the upper hose and made no difference what so ever the main issue seems to be that the engine itself is not coming up to temp.

10. oddone1975

oddone1975 Sr. Member

Also sitting idle for over 30min I checked the coolant temp at the radiator and was barely 90° so I know that obviously the thermostat will not open if the engine coolant temp is not high enough by just started a loss here I have looked at everything mentioned and tried what has worked before for me and nothing I do seems to make a difference hose clamped off and air through radiator blocked and still not coming up to temp

11. oddone1975

oddone1975 Sr. Member

On further note while out idleing the heater core let go and sprung a leak so going to change that out and go from there

12. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

Are you saying that while idling for thirty minutes with the upper radiator hose clamped off, the temperature gauge never went higher than normal, and the heater temperature did not improve?

The measurement at radiator, was that with the hose clamped off? If the hose was clamped off 100%, the radiator should have been stone cold.

Your results maybe make sense if the hose was not truly clamped off.

13. oddone1975

oddone1975 Sr. Member

I checked after we unclamped but while clamped the gauge did not go any higher and heat did not improve at all

14. oddone1975

oddone1975 Sr. Member

But I have to replace the heater core tomorrow as it started leaking

15. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

If you are taking the truck to "your guy", maybe he has a scanner that reads live data, and you could read information from the computer's sensor for engine coolant temperature. But, I assume he would have done that if he could.

A new heater core will simplify any further diagnostics if heater core replacement doesn't increase heater performance to "good enough".