Help w/ ODB2 code 1999 Rodeo

Hi,
New here, heard many good thing about this place and the help that can be had.

I have a 1999 Rodeo LS 3. 2L V6, automatic trans, 4wd w/ ~ 92000 miles. Regularly serviced, recalls applied as required. This afternoon my daughter drove into the driveway, opened the garage door, released her foot from the brake and noticed the vehicle had stalled. When I arrived home it would crank but not run.

Plugs are < 1yr old
Fuel filter < 1yr old
PCV valve < 1yr old
Timing belt HAS NOT been replaced yet.

I found and tried all the following:
3/4 tank of fuel
Cleaned Throttle body plate and throat.
Checked all relevant fuses w/ Ohm meter per Isuzu shop manual.
Checked EGR valve for proper function.
Checked electrical connections running to coil packs for proper readings (random not all) during cranking.

If I keep my foot in it the engine will run like a mess but enough to generate only one ODB2 code: P0351.

At this point I am lost. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Update: Help w/ ODB2 code 1999 Rodeo

Disconnected the battery to clear the codes.
Repeated a startup sequence and pulled the same code as before (P0351). Swapped the #1 coil w/ #3 coil and repeated the startup and managed to capture a similar code that indicated the problem moved w/ the coil.

Hooked a vacuum gauge up and at ~2500 rpm +- 200 rpm I have about 6mm Hg of vacuum. . . . . Not good I believe. Also ran sprayed some starting fluid around the base of the intake manifold and didn't notice much change in behavior. Now it threw a new code P0101 (Mass or Volume Circuit Range Performance Problem). Off to check the IAC next just in case, before I rip off the intake.

Removed the IAC and cleaned the air passage it uses in the Throttle Body. Wiped it w/ some cleaner and replaced it this time the truck will idle on it's own but w/ a surge until the computer pukes and it dies again. . . . . . . . getting closer perhaps???

Don't use starting fluid...Use carb cleaner....Am I understanding you right that it will start, but just runs really rough?...will it idle or run if you keep giving it gas?.....Jim

Thanks for the carb cleaner tip.

It will only run if I depress the accelerator at least 1/2 way down.

Prior to changing out the IAC it would only continue to run if I kept my foot on the accelerator and now it will run for a min or two surging between 1500 and 2500 rpms with my foot off the accelerator but it will die.

It sounds like it has a bad vacuum leak..have you tried spraying carb cleaner around the EGR valve and throttle body to see if there is any change?..Jim

[attachment lost in server move]

Carb cleaner around TB and EGR valve made no difference.
I tried injecting ~15psi air into the intake and could hear no leaks.
Cleared codes again, this time it threw a P0306. Checked plugs 2/4/6 and all were black and fuel laden. (plugs are less than 1yr old).
Cleaned plugs.
After hanging a Fuel Pressure Gauge off the Schrader valve on the fuel rail and following procedure per Isuzu Manual (not Chilton, etc. ) fuel pressure was ~33 KPa well below the 42-55 KPa range.
Replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator, (the old one fell apart in my hands).
No change :mad:
Now it's throwing code p0300.
I'm getting close to lighting a match!

Jim,

I hadn't ruled that out entirely. (see my 2nd post in this thread. . . . )
I'll have to dig out the section in the manual for checking the coils on the Ohm meter. Heck how long could it take there's only six of em'. . . . . . ;D
Thanks very much for following the thread.
I'll post what happens tomorrow. Had enough for today. Wife giving me the hairy eyeball.

Rob

Finale>>>>>Re: Help w/ ODB2 code 1999 Rodeo

Compression Test over 3 runs:
cyl 1 = 75/50/20
cyl 3 = 20/25/20
cyl 5 = 0/0/0

No oil reaching passenger side of motor. . . . . . . . . reason unknown.
Pulled the upper of the 2 cams, shavings where abundant and lots of heat scoring on the mains and cam itself. Believe it or not the timing belt was intact and on the money!

Now the hard part. . . . . a Jasper replacement mill is ~$5300. 00, + installation costs. The vehicle at best is worth $3500. 00. My local mechanic is willing to drop a new cam in it, get it running and sell it at his "As Is" auction in the middle of the month. His take would be 10% of sale plus the parts and labor to repair. My question to him was "Isn't that asking for bad karma? Selling something that is mechanically questionable.

I ask. . . . . what's the right thing to do here???