Home theatre amp stuck in stand by

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hello guy's, me again with my home shyte and too cheap to pay someone to fix it for myself. Actualy, it's my bull hardheadedness that gets in the way, something us guy's call "EGO".

I know I did not go to school for this type of stuff, but I have found I learn quick on a dime.

But for some reason, my trust old Denon amplifier won't turn on past stand by mode. I know this is probably a power supply issue, but I thought high end amps like this did not use cheap capacitors and such.

So before I dive into it, I wanted to have some insight from the more knowledgable guys such as Billr, NickD and even the new addition Diesel Don.

The amp is a Denon avr series 1700

I know it is and old amp in the AVR market, but it is heavy and the transformers are quite big and it does produce a great sound. I just don't know why it decided to go into stand by. I never clipped it to my knowledge.

It is probably worth 100$ as is, but I don't care, cuz I like it, it is paired right with the drivers I have.

Should I be looking at output drivers? Diodes like my sisters pionneer amp, or just maybe a fuse?

Amp has a low distortion level that works perfectly with my Merak canadian built speakers. The amp heats up in a new york minute, but it always was like this. I bought a xbox thingy with the kinect thingy so my GF could work out indoors since she doesn't like going out to work out, she thinks everybody has eyes on her judging etc kind of crap that goes on in womens heads. So maybe it heated up when she covered the vent slots. Who knows, All I know is a came back from work one day, no sound, GF shrugging telling me it just quit. Typical response I expect from my children or women in my life. :eek::giveup:

Everybody here knows me, I fix my own shyte, no matter how much time it takes me to do so, as it is always a learning curve and I am willing to put in the effort and time to follow a schematic, advice and etc. When someone tells me to buy a new thing, I just feel like punching them in the face.

1519_6_avr_1700grog.jpg denon-avr-1700-79529.jpg

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Why throw out a perfectly good amp and pollute the planet, dwindle human resources, and fill dumps in far away lands that we are already bombing for nothing to protect said dump sites.

But that is a political debate I steer away from with fanatics and losers who drive granola machines that work on used chicken fried oil based soggy fries and think obesity is just a stone throw away from the next POS thing that may come out from the walmart super size me sale.

My mom asked me today what I thought about the strikes on Syria. Like I had a choice in the matter. I think anybody who uses chemical agents on their own ppl should be shot on site.

Honestly, I don't vote, for any body. I don't give a flying crap if left wing or right wing is involved. I just pay my taxes, shut the f up, do my own thing and let others say trump is an idiot. To bad for them, cuz opinions are like arseholes, every one has one.

Mine is just live and let live, if you f with my back yard, hurt is coming. Since I don't f in any ones back yard, I don't expect shyte in return. Life has a funny way of following the laws of gravity.

So yeah, to help save a village in southern Uganda from dump overfill from companies that will never heed their own advice, or political involvement in regards to recycling and the human factor that we as a human race suck large in the compassion dept.

Help me fix my old amp for 49cents. Cuz usually, that is what it costs me to save good shyte, from becoming a horrible mess in a already f up'ed world.

Rat of the day, Russia can't say shyte about those strikes, as it was international law that was broken, but bet the bank, Trump will be twitting.

God bless America. God bless Canada, and god bless walamart and mostly, god bless ppl that think we are the higher end of the species. :D:p Screenshot (191).png Screenshot (192).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
BTW, this amp is only for TV purposes in regards to sound. The rest is done via HDMI from my PC.,

I have no funky dongles/tv convertors etc, I despise TV and all the commercials I have to wait through to just listen to the news. I am commercial free, cell phone free, and I am vintage.

So my hook up is simple. Optical for sound from my mother board to amp. Video from my pc GPU via HDMI to TV. That's it. Out puts are fat copper wire to all surround speakers, main ones are Merak 1975 era and back ones vintage german stuff with seas drivers in all 4 main drivers. No sub, no center.

Whatever I do with the amp controls, home amp dash light stays stuck on stupid saying it's in phono, and in stand by. Can't hear the main relay clicking as it used to, just nothing.

I could chuck it, buy that sweet marantz I have been looking for, but would still like the satisfaction of fixing this amp myself.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, scratch this thread, google was my friend.

I googled it, and was recommended to do a factory reset of micro-processor. Voila, sound came back. Only thing I can see is it got to hot or a wire somehow got crossed and was stuck in some kind of protection mode. Anyway, for now the amp is clutter free to help it keep cooler and will be keeping an eye on it. I did open it up, first time I see so many fuses in an amp, six in all. Surprisingly, for such an old amp, I think it something like 18yrs old or so there wasn't much dust or cat hair and stuff, but I did give a shot of a dust buster can. Since I had the can in my hands, gave the old PC a dust buster cleaning also, now that was another story.

Anyway, this thread for now is a google fix. :D

Last edited:
Howdy. It's nice to be back. I haven't had a day off since April 3rd. I'm on tonight, but I guess everyone is leaving us alone so we can rest a bit.

What you experienced has been the problem of the century for industrial electrical/instrumentation/control techs. In my line of work, we usually have to physically remove power from the offending device, wait about ten seconds, reconnect power and turn on the device. This forces the device to have to reload its program and usually it returns to work. I can offer no explanation of why this occurs. Most industrial equipment doesn't have self learning functions as the PCM in a vehicle so it doesn't contaminate its own program. For some reason, the device just quits executing its program and needs the power down to force it to reload. Once in a while, my 1 year old TV won't respond to the remote. I unplug the power cord, plug it back in, turn it on, and it's OK. The interesting part of this is when you get asked what is wrong and you don't have an answer, especially when an angry paper machine manager asks why the machine went down and what you did to fix it. I don't know, I just cycled the power on an AC drive is not what they want to hear.

I sometimes blame "static electricity" as a reason for a change in the software. If it causes a glitch or a crash, a reset rewrites it for proper function.