JP

Make
Pontiac
Model
Torrent
Year
Miles
Engine
Need a tip on how to unstick wheels. 10 YO car, wheels stick on, I do rotate every 10K miles.

Did wire brush off rust off wheels and rotors and coat with a thin coat of anti seize.

Tried kicking on side of tire multiple times, had to hammer pry bar between wheel and rotor to eventually break them loose. One I got loose by hammering (with a 2 x 4) on inside of wheel. The others I had to do the pry bar thingy.

There must be a better way.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Stuck how, with rust? On the flat faces or the round "pilot" area? Are these aluminum wheels?

Pictures, I love pictures...

JP

Appears to have stuck with corrosion. Yep, I think the wheels are aluminum. Stuck, I think, on the pilot area, but maybe a bit on the flats? Can't imagine that the flat areas could stick that securely. I was kicking the crap out of the wheel and it didn't even start to budge, like it normally would do.

Sorry, already cleaned up and put back...no pix. ;)

billr

wrench
Staff member
Open up the pilot bore in the wheel with a file or sandpaper. The pilot on the hub is needed to center brake drums, but disk rotors and wheels... not so much. Radial run-out on a disk is probably no issue at all, and the wheels will "center" when the tapered lug-nuts are tightened.

`I've used a blowtorch on the wheel, heating it up and then giving it a good whack with a BFH.

kev2

wrench
Not my suggestion BUT -

When it has to be done NOW and no money to spend ASK a taxi fleet mechanic- scary scary always amazes me.

loosen the lugs - turn wheel drive vehicle slam on brakes.... STOP shaking your head I am just a messenger...IDK

BFH Big F'in Hammer - was my thought.

grcauto

Not my suggestion BUT -

When it has to be done NOW and no money to spend ASK a taxi fleet mechanic- scary scary always amazes me.

loosen the lugs - turn wheel drive vehicle slam on brakes.... STOP shaking your head I am just a messenger...IDK

BFH Big F'in Hammer - was my thought.
I've had to do that a couple times with my truck. Works in a pinch.