Instrument cluster lights up but none of the gauges move

grcauto

If things start working with a scan tool hooked up and don't work when unhooked it'll be a ground issue to that module. The scan tool will provide the ground and allow the module to function. Not sure if this is a help if you don't have a scan tool suitable for the vehicle. I would get a good tool that will work with your vehicle and see if things start working. If so you know the ground to that module is bad.
If you can't find a tool to work with your Benz just start looking at the power and grounds to the effected modules.

Chaud

If things start working with a scan tool hooked up and don't work when unhooked it'll be a ground issue to that module. The scan tool will provide the ground and allow the module to function. Not sure if this is a help if you don't have a scan tool suitable for the vehicle. I would get a good tool that will work with your vehicle and see if things start working. If so you know the ground to that module is bad.
If you can't find a tool to work with your Benz just start looking at the power and grounds to the effected modules.
A good scan tool has the same problem as my Innova. Here is why? This vehicle has smog test due deadline by the end of this month. So today I took it to a smog station. After 5 minutes the technician told me there was no link established between the car computer and his OBD2 analyzer so he cannot run the smog tests. This I hope settles the question even a good professional OBD2 analyzer did not establish a link. My non-Mercedes Innova displays the same message...No link. By connecting any of the two analyzers did not make the needles work so it may not be module ground issue.

grcauto

Best bet is to start unplugging modules and see if you get comms to come up. You could have a bad module pulling the network down.

Chaud

Best bet is to start unplugging modules and see if you get comms to come up. You could have a bad module pulling the network down.
Good point. How do I unplug the modules? You mean pull out the instrument cluster and unplug one by one non working needles module such that only one module is unplugged at any time.

grcauto

Best thing is to unplug modules one at a time and check for comms after each one is disconnected. You don't want to just pull fuses for the modules because they can develop problems with the bus that will only free up the network by physically disconnecting the module.
In your case I believe you have a module for the instrument cluster. I would disconnect that module and see if comms come back. If so you know that module has a problem. Always start with the module(s) where you know you may be having problems. In your case the IPCM.

Chaud

Best thing is to unplug modules one at a time and check for comms after each one is disconnected. You don't want to just pull fuses for the modules because they can develop problems with the bus that will only free up the network by physically disconnecting the module.
In your case I believe you have a module for the instrument cluster. I would disconnect that module and see if comms come back. If so you know that module has a problem. Always start with the module(s) where you know you may be having problems. In your case the IPCM.
I have never dealt with these modules before so I don't know their locations. Are they behind the instrument cluster (dashboard w/gauges) or outside in the engine bay or some other place. Thanks

grcauto

I'm pretty sure it's behind the cluster in the IP. It may be integrated with the cluster. I think some earlier Benz were that way. Do you not have any service info on this vehicle?

Chaud

I'm pretty sure it's behind the cluster in the IP. It may be integrated with the cluster. I think some earlier Benz were that way. Do you not have any service info on this vehicle?
Ok, I know the location now but if it is all integrated it will be hard to know what is what. I don't have any service info on it.

grcauto

Pull the cluster and you'll see if it's integrated. If it is just unplug it from the cabling coming in. If not just follow the cabling to the module and unplug all connector at the module. Once the module is disconnected see if your can read the data line. I think you probably will.