Jeep- hard to open hood

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by jeff, Jun 8, 2007.

1. jeff

jeff Guest

I have a 91 cherokee. It is very difficult to pull the hood cable. It takes nearly all my strength to get to release. I replaced the cable assemble; no change. I lubricated all three of the assemblies mounted on the inside of the hood, 2 latches and the center part the cable hooks too. Lubed helped a little but not much. I am giving the vehicle to my 16 yo son and I know he wont be able to open the hood. Anyone had this problem before? Thanks, Jeff

2. Ford_Dude

Ford_Dude wrench

I would try this:
    I would clean the gunk out of the hood latch that had gathered over the years. Then I would grease the latch with a light coating of lithium grease. After its all nice and greased I would work the latch to work the grease in.

Ford_Dude

3. jeff

jeff Guest

I did squirt in a fair amount of oil into all three parts that make up the latching componets, and worked the hood 6-8 times. It helped but is still difficult. There is no way to open these assemblies to clean them.

4. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

You might look on the latch and see if there is an adjustment...Some of them had shims and could be adjusted..or maybe the striker plate..it might be holding the hood to tight is why it is hard to release....Jim

5. jeff

jeff Guest

Good idea Jim; i did check. With the hood shut I still have some play in the hood latches. If i put pressure on the hood i can push it down a bit on either side. I think next i will get a can of brake cleaner and just rinse these old latch parts out real good, all three of them. I have been adding oil, but maybe cleaning first will help. There is no way to get grease in these assemblies so i have to use oil; I have been squirting in 3 in 1 oil. any other ideas?? Thanks, Jeff.