Kenver

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: Ford
MODEL: F150 Lariat 4x4
YEAR: 2004
MILES: 188960
ENGINE: 5.4L
DESCRIBE ISSUE....transmission Malfunction light and o/o light flashing

Replaced transmission in my truck, Cleared codes P0962, P0743, P0750 P0755. They Came back, truck shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear rapidly. But there is no shift to 3rd or 4th gear. Checked power to bulkhead and there is no power to valve body. Harness from PCM to transmission checks good. Suspects problem could be at TCM. Is there anyone that has had this experience.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hello newbie,

Way before condemning the TCM, you need to check for shorts, open bad grounds, faulty solenoids.

Each and every one of your codes is specific to a trans solenoid. This could only be a faulty lead frame within the tranny and can be checked easily.

Even better if you have a bi directional scan tool that can do trans functionality. However, it is highly unlikely all solenoids gave out at the same time, but they are all powered through the lead frame.

So check the trans connection for a bad connection there.

In the following snapshot, you will see the pin out connector and it relation to the solenoids for which you have codes for. You have codes for SSA, SSB, TCC and EPC solenoids.

So ascertain you are getting vehicle power to pin 4 of that connector.
Screenshot (42).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Fuse F2-33 15amp get power from PCM relay and powers those four soleoids, of those four, there is shift solenoid A, shift solenoid B, electronic pressure control solenoid and torque convertor clutch solenoid. All of which correspond to your 4 codes.

See following snapshots.

Screenshot (43).png Screenshot (45).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Typical flow chart for one of your codes is a follows in the pdf that I upload for you.

All 4 codes have similar flow chart. I highly doubt this is a PCM issue. More like a fuse, a open, short or a bad lead frame in the trans.

Many GM tranny's had similar problems and we had to replace thousands of solenoid harness in the trans for same problems such as yours. Sometimes, when replacing a faulty solenoid, they came with a new harness to boot. Very common issue with gm, not so much with ford, but not unheard of.

So my expert opinion, is to re-insepct that harness and pin test each and every wire from that harness to PCM in ohm test and to ground with the wiring I provided you, and do the flow chart for that code I gave you. As I said, all 4 codes have a similar flow chart and will ask you first and foremost ask you to do that before even thinking of replacing the PCM.

See ACE 1 pdf below.

Attachments

Last edited: