light issue

oddone1975

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:dodge
MODEL:ram 1500 4x4
YEAR:1998
MILES:188K
ENGINE:5.2
DESCRIBE ISSUE.... got in to a fender bender with snow bank and tweaked front bumper a bit and broke passenger side headlight/markerlight assembly had to retweak the bumper a bit to get the replacement to fit but now all of a sudden it is popping the fuse for marker lights and dash lights ( both on same fuse) everything was working before replacing but as it broke the lens on the marker light after a day the moisture and bouncing around broke the filament in the bulb so i replaced bulb. not sure if suddenly the headlight switch could be causing this?

I want to say "pinched wire due to accident", but it could be a different problem (coincidence). Recheck crash site, but another common problem area would be trailer hitch if you have one.
How fast/soon does the fuse blow? Which position of the headlamp switch?

oddone1975

It takes few seconds seems to be when I go to move there is no trailer harness had a plug it simple but was messed up

I made a high-amp test light that I would use for your problem. I cut open a failed fuse to make two "sticks" to push into the fuse box where the fuse would normally go. Then attach clips to the nubs of the "sticks". High-amp test light is a headlight bulb, which flows enough power to light up markers and dash light, (usually glows dimly).
With lights turned on, check all markers for brightness. If one is a lot dimmer, that may be your problem area. If they are all about the same, drive the truck until the test lamp "gets brighter". When the short happens, the test lamp will get brighter because the electricity now has a path straight to ground, instead of through a bunch of marker light filaments. Inspect all your markers again (this works best at night) to see if some are very dim and one is completely dark. The dark one may be close to your problem.
Respect the power of this type of test light. Without caution, thing can get melted, fingers get burnt.

oddone1975

once i get home tomorrow i am going to check the marker light that i replaced see if maybe i pinched the wire with the J hook chain we used to straighten bumper a bit or if i simply have it installed wrong go from there. and i would need to make something different as my fuse panel is inaccessible unless driver door is open its on the side of the dash but im gonna investigate a bit i am just curious a bit as a friend had same issue with his dodge and it was the switch and he said some ground wire or something did not say exactly which one :( up to the point that i replaced the front marker light and headlight assembly everything except the one light was working fine that is what puzzles me

Just for clarification, here is a pic of one "stick".

You said..."and i would need to make something different as my fuse panel is inaccessible unless driver door is open".

You would only have to have longer wires, or shorter clips, or solder wires to "sticks", and if I remember correctly, it is possible to snake wires to to underdash area for connection.

But yes...recheck crash area.

Last edited:

oddone1975

Ok I checked the harness in the area that the marker got broke and everything is good but as soon as I start to go it blows fuse sitting still it doesn't blow fuse really strange

oddone1975

Ok now upon replacing fuse as soon as I turn lights on fuse blows so I picked up a new headlight switch and am going to install tomorrow bc and see if it solves issue

Well changed switch this morning and still doing it so it's at the shop he thinks he can get it in this afternoon

So, you decided not to put together a high-amp test lamp, even though you can do testing at a standstill, with the door open? Totally your choice...let us know what problem was found.

So, you decided not to put together a high-amp test lamp, even though you can do testing at a standstill, with the door open? Totally your choice...let us know what problem was found.
I don't have the stuff to make it or the understanding of it so I'm going to let my mechanic look at it I really thought it might be the switch

Turns out so far problem was in rear light harnesses moisture was getting in and corroded the connections at plugs cleaned them and packed with dielectric grease see if it holds up so far it's been come warmer dryer weather I'll look at junk yard for better harness

Just ran truck to town and back with no issue so I say this one is fixed

Last edited: