Live Data readings

hidden1

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: dodge

MODEL: dakota

YEAR: 02

MILES: 150k
ENGINE: 3.9
DESCRIBE ISSUE....
What are the correct readings for the live data on OBD2 scanner while engine is idling .I NEED to know the range for normal readings -
Map sensor
TPS sensor
IAT sensor
(Example: betwwen 10-21psi map)

Many of my live readings seem off
Thanks

billr

wrench
Staff member
MAP should be atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi at sea-level) when engine is not running
MAP should be in the 4-6 psi range at idle.

TPS should read about 0% when your foot is off the accel pedal, then increase smoothly toward 100% as the pedal is pushed down. Watch, especially, to see if the "foot off" always returns to the same reading.

IAT should read the same as CLT (and trans temp, if you have it) after the car has been sitting for quite a while, like over-night; and those temps should all be about the same as the ambient temperature the car has been sitting in. After the engine is fully warmed, I would expect IAT to be in the 90F-150F range.

Post the ones you think are way off, or symptoms that are causing concern.

kev2

wrench
Welcome hidden1 -
those readings are seen as - voltages, on Chrysler
MAP - High vacuum- low pressure low volts - KOEO high volts 4.5
TPS- lo RPM = low volts .5-.9
IAT- less than 1v to almost 5 v

Trying to be helpful- Do not fully understand your problem...
Above sounds vague more info is needed - the starting point is needed ie KOEO what is MAP Volts and then Volts at idle.
What TPS voltages at idle and WOT... the upper and lower # and the change is observed.
I would suggest you post the codes - guessing what the issue is makes it difficult,

hidden1

Here are a few pics of live data .
Does any of it seem a bit off like TPS ,IAT,etc
All tested in idle an engine warm 20170105_163531.jpg 20170105_161058.jpg 20170105_163526.jpg

kev2

wrench
No nothing jumps out - what is the issue ?

NOTE MAP readings changed -
Noticed MAP displayed 2x as psi 1x as inHg, did you select this change?
Maybe observe MAP KOEO and then again at idle.

The Chrysler system will utilize voltages with their trouble trees can you see sensor voltages?

hidden1

No nothing jumps out - what is the issue ?

NOTE MAP readings changed -
Noticed MAP displayed 2x as psi 1x as inHg, did you select this change?
Maybe observe MAP KOEO and then again at idle.

The Chrysler system will utilize voltages with their trouble trees can you see sensor voltages?

2 different scanners

billr

wrench
Staff member
Are the P0118 and P0119 the root of the questions here? Then, let's ignore MAP and TPS. They have no effect on the ECT system. Do the comparison to IAT when cold. However, this seems to be intermittent, so "catching it in the act" may be hard to do. Visual inspection of the wiring and connectors is first step, and be thorough, don't settle for a quickie look. After that, I would be tempted to "throw an ECT sensor at it", they are cheap ($10 range) and easy to change.

hidden1

Are the P0118 and P0119 the root of the questions here? Then, let's ignore MAP and TPS. They have no effect on the ECT system. Do the comparison to IAT when cold. However, this seems to be intermittent, so "catching it in the act" may be hard to do. Visual inspection of the wiring and connectors is first step, and be thorough, don't settle for a quickie look. After that, I would be tempted to "throw an ECT sensor at it", they are cheap ($10 range) and easy to change.
That was my 1st thing .i changed the ECT but still enhanced mode errors after many clear outs..8 messages..had some irractic error messages for IAT pop in at times with that pile of ECT messages some but this is under dodge enhanced ..nothing on main check for codes...readiness monitor is green for everything except Evap. Which takes several runs.I recently replaced downstream 02 sensor also.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I would venture to ask what the long and short trims are saying since this engine is able to sustain an very adequate idle and very normal pid data.

A wild guess is that calculated load, with tps and and map pid data are all within specs, why not try a resistance to temp check on the ect sensor.

But if you ask me, probably are looking at a circuit wire for that code. Monitor the ect signal circuit first before throwing a sensor at it. See snap shots below.

Screenshot (52).png Screenshot (51).png

Attachments