Make
Toyota
Model
Highlander
Year
Miles
Engine
V-6
Daughter was driving home from body shop after R&R front and rear bumpers after minor collision and loses oil pressure. She stops at a shop they read those codes, limps home. I drive to her house to check it out then I have it towed to my house. Where do I start. Draining oil right now, she isn't know for being consistent with oil servicing. Going to install new oil and filter then see what it looks like. The car ran really smooth and strong up to this point.

Last edited:

grcauto

Driving home from body shop after R&R front and rear bumpers after minor colission and loses oil pressure. Stops at a shop they read those codes, limps home then I have it towed to my house. Where do I start. Draining oil right now, she isn't know for being consistent with oil servicing. Going to install new oil and filter then see what it looks like. The car ran really smooth and strong up to this point.
Your home and house are two different places?
Those codes are for the VVT (variable valve timing) which uses solenoid valves to allow oil pressure to be applied to a cam phaser which will retard or advance the cam timing based on inputs to the PCM. You also have two misfire codes for cylinders 4 and 6 which I believe are the two cylinders on the right front as you are looking at it from the front. I would be looking for any wiring harness that is not connected. If you can't see anything start tugging on the different wiring harnesses going to and at the engine. I think the VVT and coils are on the same harness. If you can't find the problem I would have it taken back to the body shop. They didn't get a connector pushed in all the way or possibly left a ground loose up near the rad. I think they have one up there. At any rate it should be easy enough to find but it's their problem.
FWIW those VVT engines need regular oil changes. They do not do well with any kind of sludge.

Your home and house are two different places?
Those codes are for the VVT (variable valve timing) which uses solenoid valves to allow oil pressure to be applied to a cam phaser which will retard or advance the cam timing based on inputs to the PCM. You also have two misfire codes for cylinders 4 and 6 which I believe are the two cylinders on the right front as you are looking at it from the front. I would be looking for any wiring harness that is not connected. If you can't see anything start tugging on the different wiring harnesses going to and at the engine. I think the VVT and coils are on the same harness. If you can't find the problem I would have it taken back to the body shop. They didn't get a connector pushed in all the way or possibly left a ground loose up near the rad. I think they have one up there. At any rate it should be easy enough to find but it's their problem.
FWIW those VVT engines need regular oil changes. They do not do well with any kind of sludge.

I edited my post, it was not clear. She does oil changes but her intervals may be longer than mine. My vehicles are done at 5K. She may wander up to around 8.

grcauto

I edited my post, it was not clear. She does oil changes but her intervals may be longer than mine. My vehicles are done at 5K. She may wander up to around 8.
First thing is to locate the wiring problem described above .......AFter that is fixed do the following.
Need to pull a control solenoid and see what it looks like. Is it gooped up?
If it's gunky we may be able to clean that engine before you have a real problem.
I did an Elantra for my niece a few months back and the thing was making chain slap noise on cold starts. No codes at all. I went in to the timing chain and replaced everything in there with the exception of the cam sprockets. Never even occurred to me to see if the phasers were engaging the back of the cams. Get it back together to find I still had chain slap. Tear it back down to see there's a SMALL amount of sludge around the back of the cams and the phasers. I pull the oil controllers and they have a SMALL amount of gunk on them. Knowing how these phasers lock into the cams I checked where the pin goes into the hole and the pin is worn and the hole is ovaled out. Had to replace the cam sprockets, phasers and oil controllers. 700 coconuts later it's nice and quiet on cold starts. The point is she did oil changes every 5K with cheap WalMart brand oil and filter and this happened in less than 100K. She now uses good synthetic and OE filters. Very important to keep these engines clean inside. I learned my lesson as well.....I should have checked the cams and phasers while in there. I've spent way to much time at the front desk and to little time turning wrenches in the last 10 years.

Last edited:
So during the oil/filter change I found the oil leak, the filter was not tight. So, driving the car with low oil pressure and a leak leads to the rod knock I hear. Sad, but on to the next project. Appreciate the suggestions.

grcauto

So during the oil/filter change I found the oil leak, the filter was not tight. So, driving the car with low oil pressure and a leak leads to the rod knock I hear. Sad, but on to the next project. Appreciate the suggestions.
She loses oil pressure after leaving the body shop. Sounds like they are responsible for the leak. If it was leaking when they got i that should have been fixed. If it weren't leaking why did it start after giving the car back to her. How ever you cut this they are responsible for the problem and they may owe her an engine. I wouldn't let this go.

First off, the oil change must have been done by Joe Blow down the street, they wrote the change date on the filter with a sharpie. Secondly, the front bumper was not removed. They strategically placed a few zip ties to hold up some hanging undercarriage plastic pans and sprayed the bumper as a favor to her. My guess is Joe Blow did not replace the pans on correctly and the fasteners failed. Anyone that has removed and replaced these panels can relate to the flimsiness and eventual cracking around the fastener area. That and a few curb scrapings from time to time and they become an issue. Notice any Toyota"s or the like going down the road and you will notice "hanging " plastic.
Had the driver (daughter) heeded the warning signs IE flashing red low oil indicator the issue could have been less traumatic. I see pursuing the body shop as a dead end. It's being sold to a friend, rebuilt motor by my motor head engine rebuilder and I am done with this car. It served us well.
Can they make an engine that when the low oil light comes on the air bag deploys at the next traffic light? or maybe yells out "pull over!)
Daughters, you just love them no matter what.

how SURE there is as rod knock? I am an optimist..

I would work it till all hope is exhausted...
with a mechanical gauge what is oil press?
Pull coding plugs, maybe a misfire is the knock - excess fuel will knnock.
add a detergent to oil risolone is my choice... the VVT are needing more oil changes and we are bombarded with once a year oil change magic oil.

grcauto

First off, the oil change must have been done by Joe Blow down the street, they wrote the change date on the filter with a sharpie. Secondly, the front bumper was not removed. They strategically placed a few zip ties to hold up some hanging undercarriage plastic pans and sprayed the bumper as a favor to her. My guess is Joe Blow did not replace the pans on correctly and the fasteners failed. Anyone that has removed and replaced these panels can relate to the flimsiness and eventual cracking around the fastener area. That and a few curb scrapings from time to time and they become an issue. Notice any Toyota"s or the like going down the road and you will notice "hanging " plastic.
Had the driver (daughter) heeded the warning signs IE flashing red low oil indicator the issue could have been less traumatic. I see pursuing the body shop as a dead end. It's being sold to a friend, rebuilt motor by my motor head engine rebuilder and I am done with this car. It served us well.
Can they make an engine that when the low oil light comes on the air bag deploys at the next traffic light? or maybe yells out "pull over!)
Daughters, you just love them no matter what.
LOL....yeah I had my love tested for a couple years with my daughter. She learned after ruining only 1 transmission but 2 engines and the second one I told her.....'You need to learn. We tried the easy way, me paying and doing it all, but now you are all grown up and working you can BUY the engine and I'll be a good father and install it." She started to sob a little and I hugged her and told her I could get a good engine for $150. A friend of mine who owned a salvage yard had a 2.8 that was just brought in totaled out and only 41K on the clock. He gave me a great deal at a buck and a half. This was in 1999 and was a 2.8 for a 1988 Pontiac Grand Prix SE. That thing was loaded with the wrap around seats, lumbar and sides, and was the first year the Grand Prix was in a sport style. It was my friends personal vehicle for work. He was an adjuster for a large insurance company and traveled extensively averaging 50K + a year. He bought it new and had my shop do all the work, just basic maintenance is all it ever needed. In 1992 he was looking to trade it and I told him I would like to get it for my daughter for her 16th birthday. It had 240K on the clock but was in mint body and interior. I got it for a song. Rebuilt the engine and tranny and told Ashley I was fixing it up as a third car for the family. She absolutely loved that car and couldn't wait to get her permit to drive it. She got her permit just before her 16th birthday and just before her birthday I had the car finished. She got to take it out for a drive, of coarse I was in the passenger bucket, and she was so afraid of hurting anything I had to coax her to actually drive it. She finally got used to it and on the day she got her permanent license she asked if she could that the 'Red bomb' out to visit a friend. I looked at my wife who was starring intently at me to see what I would say........I tossed the keys to Ashley and said....'Before you get to drive this car alone you have to take your mother and I to the DOMV"........A funny look came over her.....I said....The Department of Motor Vehicles......"but dad I have my full license now"......I said....."I know that. We need to sign this car over to you. Happy belated birthday." Her and Patti were both hugging and in tears........Patti, my wife, had no idea of the plan I hatched.......needless to say I had two very happy women on my hands.
BTW a couple months after installing the LAST engine that car ever needed and just a week before her sophomore year of college started I asked her how she was doing on keeping the oil up where it needed to be. “I just had it changed and I check it every week, dad”. I went and gave her a prepaid card for her to use for school stuff. I took the money she used to buy the engine and bought that card with it. I had another crying women on my hands. Greatest thing that can happen to us. Children are a gift of God. I truly believe that.