Need a little help on a P0014 code

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by CP, Jun 17, 2017.

1. kev2

kev2 wrench

there are no other codes?

Agree with nick if an elec issue CMP solenoid wiring open or grounded would set different codes p0013? - and this is a mechanical problem.
    The CMP timing jumpimg like you say I would check -
    - the solenoid remove and look at spool and screen, you did use an OEM component?
    - clean flush oil passages...
    - as you looked at the end play did you inspect cam actuator a visual, chain, sprocket, guides....
    - As mentioned 75psi oil pressure ? WTF

Attached Files:

2. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Well, I am going to keep debating here, because I don't want to see us sending the OP into the weeds by ignoring the CMP sensor. Regardless of the solenoid, oil passages, oil pressure, etc. the PCM can have no knowledge of the cam position, and no basis for setting the P0014, if the CMP sensor isn't reporting position correctly. I'm not saying that the problem has to be with that sensor, just that it (an electrical problem) does have to remain in our consideration.

3. CP

CP Jr. Member

Today a strong engine flush was run thru the engine for 20 minutes. Oil and filter new now and still no change, setting P0014 code on a test drive. Doing the cam actuator test with the Modis, I can command the actuator to 0, 5,10,15 or 20. Bank 2 will hold the desired and actual steady. This Bank 1 like I said before is jumping around. The oil pressure test I did was with a gauge threaded into the oil sender fitting by the filter. This don't seem like too high of pressure to me,for an engine when Minimum is 10! Or am I missing something in testing oil pressure- is there a port to test at the cam actuator?? So my question is what happens when there is too much end play in the cam? Can't the solenoid feed oil to the actuator properly? What are the symptoms of a bad actuator?? What if the PCM is throwing out bad pulse width modulated signals for Bank 2 cam??

4. billr

Disconnect the electrical harness from that one solenoid and see if the position still flits around. Try the same thing on the "good" cam. Let's see if they act different.

5. kev2

kev2 wrench

Bills idea sounds good - rev , watch and see if cam timing stays consistent - fast and easy also.

A I look onto it I am getting notes on timing chain issues this eng - might want to ck recalls, TSB;s, PIP's, special coverage etc. My GM info is not available now...

6. CP

CP Jr. Member

Sorry fellow mechanics, but I just had to post again a little more on the Saturn. Watching scope patterns of the cam sensors and and bank 1 and 2 solenoids. Really don't see anything different from one cam sensor to the other but there is a huge difference on the patterns of bank 1 and bank 2 signals to the cam solenoids. Holding rpm steady at 1400 , there is a good waveform on bank 2. Bank 1 is not good, even sometimes goes away and comes back. Don't know if I can post a video of them here, but I have them if anyone is interested. Thanks again

7. kev2

kev2 wrench

can you swap cam sensors bank 1 to 2 ? see if bad signal follows?
    When you did cam end play did you look at exhaust actuator? tone ring I know question is after you were in there maybe something obvious.

8. CP

CP Jr. Member

Kev
    I haven't gotten the ok from the owner to get into checking end play. That looks like maybe the next to do? Has set code P0017 a few times. So could be something I would find 'in there' for that code coming up? I'll keep you all updated here

9. billr

Are the solenoids interchangeable, can you swap those?

10. CP

CP Jr. Member

Bills
    I swapped two of the solenoids and still get a very erratic pattern on bank 1 Exhaust solenoid feed.

11. billr

Did you ever try disconnecting the B1 solenoid and checking if the B1 sensor was still jittery? Check your PM, I'm going to have you email me the scope traces.

12. bob428

bob428 Newbie

Does this engine have a OVC filter? Had an Elantra that gave me a P00017 that when I cleaned the OVC filter, it went away. The filter was on the end of a blot that was in the head 90 degrees from the OVC.

13. CP

CP Jr. Member

Just an update what was tried today. Since junk in,means junk out, and I don't know why yet all these jumpy numbers on the scanner I see this week and a stranger than normal pattern of the PWM signal to the bank 1 Exhaust cam solenoid, I thought it may be the ECM. Maybe it was a mistake getting a used one, but the local guys had one for $50. I have a mechanic friend that has more of the newer tools in his shop, and said he could get the used one to work. Well our luck or something... it would do the latest calibration on the original, but wouldn't put in what it needed to start and run.. we have run out of week, but haven't given up searching for an answer. Of course it is up to the owner, what next? So far in a week, I've replaced the battery that was only 6 months old,fixed a leaking o ring on the power steering line,put in a water pump,dealing with the codes issues,the anti slip message is on the display that that isn't working, a code has come up for the transmission solenoid 1 and has gone into limp mode twice when I was test driving... seems like the story of the " one hoss-shay" or sometimes called the Deacon's masterpiece! Look it up on google! Ha (trying to keep my sense of humor thru it all!)

14. billr

*ahem*

"Did you ever try disconnecting the B1 solenoid and checking if the B1 sensor was still jittery?"

What is an "OVC"?

15. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Well, I am going to try to see if I kept up with this thread?

Exhaust B1 cam solenoid new. Correct?

Cam sensor for this cam new. Correct?

Wiring from engine to ECU checks ok for this bank 1 exhaust sol/cam circuit. Correct?

Tried a used ECU with no change. Correct?

Oil flush was done and no change in oil pressure. Still @ 33psi idle and 75psi @2grand. Correct?

Cam end play HAS NOT been checked as per the TSB as client has not okayed that yet. Correct?

Did I forget to mention anything?