Need a little help on a P0014 code

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by CP, Jun 17, 2017.

1. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    @Bill, I have no idea what OVC means. Maybe a typo.

I am assuming BOB428 is referring to the oil screen/filter for the cam solenoids on a OHC engine with VCT. I did mention that before, but CP says he has a new one in there.

Going back to oil pressure. I just find 75psi @ 2grand is to high. And 33psi @ idle is still to high to my liking. I usually see pressures like this in a cold engine when viscosity is thick but will drop to normal once warmed up. Normal oil pressure at idle should usually be +/- 10-20psi, disclaimer, approximate numbers here. Engines will vary. Yours should be as stated in my earlier post as per ALLDATA specs. I also checked with Mitchel ondemand 5, same specs given.

This is not a performance engine. I mean, a nascar engine will get 80psi @ 8 grand. A LS1 engine may get 75psi WOT.

SO I am still stuck on stupid on that one.

So, I guess what I am trying to say, is stop looking at the fluctuating readings, we know they are fluctuating. Hence the performance codes. My gut feeling is still that this is not a circuit/sensor/solenoid problem, but more a mechanical one.

A rule of thumb in the industry was 10psi per 1000rpm. But with newer engines coming out, some with 0w20 oils, this rule of thumb has changed a bit. If you are getting 75 @ 2grand, I wince what it may be if you redline this. Foreseeable oil leaks in the future from crank or cam seals.

Anyway, get the end play checked out, try to clean out the oil passage that supplies the exhaust solenoid if you can get to it without removing the cam and head. If not, like I said before, this MAY end up being a head job.

That TSB is not there for nothing. I have seen alot of these engines with that same problem. Most of them were oil related and fixed with a flush. Sadly, some of them needed major repair. I just think it is a GM design flaw, I don't see that alot for other manufactures with same system. The 2.2l ecotechs are a nightmare in this dept.

When I was working for GM, I could easily see two or three cars a day with same issues in regards to VCT related codes and timing chains that were loose cuz the guides disintigrate and then go into the pan, clog up the oil passages etc.

2. CP

CP Jr. Member

Billr
    http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/91744/hyundai-cvvt-oil-control-valve
    And no I haven't tried disconnecting the solenoid and checking the pattern of the sensor. I have tried swapping the intake and exhaust solenoids with no change to the pattern to the B1 Exhaust solenoid. The patterns to the "sensors" look very similar, comparing B1 to B2. A pattern of two short and two long with square ons and offs. Can't say they are jittery?
    Nickb2
    You are correct, but except for the ECM, that would not let us program to try it. We did the latest calibration for the old one with no change to the code returning. Tell me more about why you think that oil pressure is too high? Isn't that about normal for regulated engine oil to be about that much? Every engine would be different. I was checking at the oil sender port. Is there a way to check at the cam to see how much the actuator is getting for pressure?

3. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Is the P0017 code still coming back? Is the P0014 predominant?

If the P0017 is predominant, I would also check for timing chain problems. Also a known issue which will cause. P0016 - P0019 codes. Meaning a crank to cam sensor correlation problem.

I don't think you can read pressure at cam ports. The proper way to get oil pressure readings is to use an adapter that goes in lieu of the oil filter. But I suppose getting that at the sending unit is adequate. I am not to worried about oil pressure at this point because you are now getting two codes. I just find 75 to high for 2000rpm. But it is moot here and the oil filter should have a safety relief valve in there. It would just suck if for some reason an el cheapo filter was in there and pressure went to a 100psi or so and blew a cam or crank seal cuz a safety relief valve was defective.

Here is a TSB that may not have been included. I did not read the whole thread again. SO here it is and I am sorry if it was already included. But like I said before, major problems with GM's design in these engines and the eco techs also. Timing chains suck in these new design engines. How ever, I have usually noted more than just one code when the chain stretches or a guides disintegrates.

Here is that TSB anyway.

Attached Files:

4. kev2

kev2 wrench

I think OCV * OVC etc are manufacturer specific acronyms for what my domestic thinking calls cam solenoids.
    As far as solenoids I believe they are new were swapped B1Ex to B2Ex, same erratic readings?

There are lots of TSB , policies, recalls related to chains. And I think the chain guides or actuator will be the culprit.
    I will keep looking at this topic this one is a good challenge.

* things like oil control valve, Oil valve control,

5. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

CP,

It seems you are unwilling to try running with the solenoid valve disabled electrically. I wish you the best of luck, but am done here.

6. kev2

kev2 wrench

I do not know of how to check oil pressure right at the actuator.
    Swapping the solenoids, and cleaning oil system would have been my guess, but you have done that.

7. CP

CP Jr. Member

Don't know if this is the end,but for now I've stopped. Customer didn't want me to go any farther. Spent a lot of time researching this out testing, trying, scanning, reading. But the conclusion we came to, was to probably follow the bulletin about the stretched chains. Then when we would have been into it looking at those, we would find out about the cam end play problems some of these have had. Also there was the transmission issue of going into limp mode sometimes and a whine noise also sometimes coming from the transmission area. And reading about the breakage of the wavey plates these transmissions have had because they weren't stress relieved. The dollars would have added up in the repairs, to more than half of what a better replacement vehicle would cost. The girl is still driving it the last couple days, so there are a few miles left in it. In this case, I agreed with them, it is just too much to stick into the vehicle. It would have been nice to do the updates and repairs, and have it ready for the road again, as it is a decent vehicle. Always a good feeling we get when we do our best and restore something to work again,then calling them up to say it's done. Something great about that! Thanks

8. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

"""Always a good feeling we get when we do our best and restore something to work again,then calling them up to say it's done."""

Another part of the great feeling is when it gets fixed and you get PAID! Not so great is when you try really hard but the fix never happens...it feels a little rotten to ask to be paid anything for the time and effort you put into it.