Need help with 97 Ford E150 Starting Problem

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by davmich66, Sep 24, 2012.

1. davmich66

davmich66 Newbie

Hello, i'm new here - i've got a 97 E150 Econoline Van (6 cyl 4. 2). Wife drove it around, came home, went back out and it would not start. turning the ignition would get 1 click out of the starter / solenoid and then all power (dome light, dash, door chime) would die. multiple attempts at turning the key did result in an intermittant start (van would run fine - just wouldnt start back up). tested battery - 12. 5 volts / 920 amps, cleaned terminals, scrubbed clamps, replaced starter relay (on passenger side fender) and replaced starter with new (not remanufactured) after starter failed bench test at parts store. all of this resulted in a steady repetitive clicking of starter and no loss of interior power to lights and door chime. recent repairs have been new alternator 2 yrs ago. any help as to where to turn next? with my limited knowledge, unless i bought a bad starter, it's got to be the power supply or ground - i just don't know where to look.

thanks,
    dave

2. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

Sounds like a bad connection...Might be on the battery side or the other end..Clean the battery and the connections real good and make sure the is no corrosion farther up in the cable and make sure the connections are tight...Jim

3. kev2

kev2 wrench

12.5 volts - does not sound like a fully charged battery....

As mentioned clean the terminals both neg and pos - both ends at starter and at eng ground..
    might swap in a known good battery for a test, also post voltage at battery, eng off and again eng running

4. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Check voltage at the last (big) terminal or cable that goes into the starter-motor, relative to the starter case itself. If you have 10 to 12V there, while trying to crank, then it is a bad starter. If voltage is low, then the problem is in all the wiring, switching, and connector stuff mentioned before. Oh, yeah, have you verified the engine can be rotated by hand freely, it's not jammed-up?