Need more info about Chevy knock sensor

I'm having an intermittent CEL with a P0332, Knock Sensor circuit low input Bank 2. The vehicle is a 2004 Silverado with a 6.0 L Vortec engine. It seems to run OK.

I have an AutoXray scanner and this is the freeze frame data...

closed loop coolant 195 degrees F 12.9% load 62 mph 25% TPS

air flow 4.48 lb/in 12 in. MAP 2168 RPM

Bank 1 short -1.6% Bank 1 long 4.6% Bank 2 short -2.4% Bank 2 long 4.6%

Please correct me if I'm wrong....the freeze data looks normal to me.
Is there a TSB or common problem to cause this code?

Thanks in advance for any info or opinions,
Dan Moon

Hey Dan...I didn't see any tsb's, but have you checked the connectors to see if they are loose?..yours has 2 under the intake....Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

this p0332 sounds familiar and thee MAY be a TSB.....I am researching that.

First thoughts:

have you  cleaned the engine, sprayed washedor done ANY workunderhood?

Sorry I can not link this -lets see if we can get a copy of this from my colleagues

edit  - TSB 02-06-24-023 dated may 2002.... ??

still trying to add TSB

Sorry it looks like Sh** could not easily add..... but it is a good TSB
hopefully someone can correct my poor computer skills

Ok Kev.....I was looking in 2004 trucks...I didn't go back that far...It does sound the same though..LOL....Jim.............Engine Controls - Spark Knock/MIL ON/ DTC P0332 Set
Notes

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 02-06-04-023A

Date: June, 2002

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Audible Spark Knock (Detonation), MIL Illuminated, DTC P0332 Set (Replace Rear Bank Knock Sensor and RTV Area Around Sensor)

Models:
1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette
1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird
with 5.7L Engine (VIN G - RPO LS1)
1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2002 Chevrolet Avalance
1999-2002 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
2002 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
with 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L Engine
(VINs V, T, Z, N, U - RPOS LR4, LM7, L59, L09, L04)

This bulletin is being revised to add Cadillac Escalade and Cadillac Escalade EXT to the Models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-04-023 (Section 6 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a mild to severe engine ping (commonly referred to as spark knock), usually worse during acceleration and/or an illuminated MIL. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC P0332 set.

Cause

This condition may be the result of corrosion of the rear bank knock sensor due to water intrusion into the sensor cavity. This condition is more apparent on vehicles in which customers frequently wash the engine compartment.

Correction

Replace the rear bank knock sensor and build a dam (wall) around the sensor using RTV to divert water away from the sensor. Use the procedure and part number listed.

1. Remove the intake manifold. Refer to the Intake Manifold Replacement procedure in the Engine Controls sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual.. Remove the wiring harness assembly from the knock sensor.
. Remove the rear bank knock sensor.

4. Install the new rear bank knock sensor.

Tighten

Tighten the knock sensor to 20 N.m (15 lb ft).

5. Install the wiring harness assembly to the knock sensor.
6. Apply a bead of RTV silicone sealant approximately 9 mm (3/8 in) wide and 6 mm (1/4 in) high along the outside edge of the ridge on the engine block valley cover around the rear bank knock sensor. DO NOT form a complete circle. Leave the rear section open as shown.

7. From the underside of the intake manifold, completely remove the rear intake manifold seal (foam material).

8. Install the intake manifold. Refer to the Intake Manifold Replacement procedure in the Engine Controls sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual.

Kev and Jim,
Thanks for the replies. The truck is a maintenance truck for a hospital, so I don't know if they wash under the hood. The man to ask is off the clock now, but I will ask him tomorrow.
I suppose the manifold has to come off for any type of inspection.
Does a 2004 have the same design problem as 1999-2002? I have never taken the manifold off of one of these engines.

Thanks a lot,
Dan

That misunderstanding on model year is my Fup..... I searched for a 2002 somehow misread 2004 just getting old.

Suggestion ....find out about the washing - doubtful on a fleet vehicle...
with NO pinging drivability issues mentioned - reset/erase the code lets see if it resets.
getting to the sensor is time consuming lets see if we can duplicate

Hey guys....
The CEL came back on with the same knock sensor code. Hasn't been washed under the hood since the hospital bought it used about 9 months ago. I don't know if it was "spruced up" for resale with underhood detailing.
Looking things over, I saw no obvious damage to underhood wiring that might set a code. To be honest, I couldn't tell which wires were the ones for the knock sensors. Does anyone have info on wire colors, connector views, or diagnostic charts with pin tests?
Thanks,
Dan

Here Dan....see if this helps.....Jim........DTC P0332

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The knock sensor (KS) system enables the powertrain control module (PCM) to control the ignition timing for the best possible performance while protecting the engine from potentially damaging levels of detonation. The system uses two KS located under the intake manifold. KS 1 is located at the front of the engine. KS 2 is located at the back of the engine. Each KS produces an AC voltage that varies depending on the vibration level during engine operation. The PCM adjusts the spark timing based on the amplitude and frequency of the KS signal. The PCM receives a signal from each KS through a signal circuit. The KS ground is supplied by the engine block through the sensor housing. The PCM uses each KS signal to calculate an average voltage range value. If the KS system is operating normally, the PCM should monitor the KS voltage varying above and below the voltage range. If the PCM detects the KS signal voltage within the voltage range, or the KS signal is not present, a DTC will set. DTC P0327 refers to the front KS. DTC P0332 refers to the rear KS.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

DTCs P0117, P0118, or P0125 are not set.
The minimum noise level must be learned. The minimum noise level is learned when the following conditions are met:
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) must be greater than 60C (140F) .
The engine speed is between 475-975 RPM for 10 seconds .
The engine speed is between 1,500-3,000 RPM .
The manifold absolute pressure (Map) is less than 49 kPa .
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is more than 60C (140F) .
The throttle angle is more than 0 percent .
The engine run time is more than 10 seconds .
The ignition voltage is more than 10 volts .
CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC

The PCM detects that the KS signal is within the calculated voltage range or the KS signal is not present.
The above conditions are met for more than 9 seconds .
ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.
DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

If DTCs P0327 and P0332 are set at the same time, inspect for poor connections at the KS harness jumper, located at the left rear side of the intake manifold.
Inspect the KS for physical damage. A KS that is dropped or damaged may cause a DTC to set.
Inspect the KS for proper installation. A KS that is loose or over torqued may cause a DTC to set. The KS should be free of thread sealant. The KS mounting surface should be free of burrs, casting flash, and foreign material.
For an intermittent condition, refer to Intermittent Conditions. See: Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Diagnostic Strategies