need owner's manual for '05 Ford Taurus

A/C Pro has a gauge. I think this gauge works without pulling the trigger.
What does the gauge say when you attach to car?
What does the gauge say when you attach to car and jumper the low charge protection switch plug (and compressor kicks on)? I am assuming that you have now found the compressor "way down there" and can tell if the clutch is actually engaging.

When I connect the charger to the port, the gauge reads about 8psi ( in the white). I start the engine, turn A/C to max, and fan on high, then add the jumper. The gauge goes to 0 and stays there, even if I squeeze the trigger on the charger. It really doesn't seem like it's taking a charge. When I install the jumper, I'm sure I'm hearing the compressor kick in. It loads the idle down until the idle speed is corrected to adapt to the load.

We used the trigger unit last year to charge a Blazer I had. The spacer is not there. Can the trigger assembly be unscrewed from the can? I thought I read somewhere on the can or package the kit came in, that once screwed onto the can, it can't be removed until the can is empty??

grcauto

If you unscrew it will discharge as soon as the seal is broken.
If you do this wrap a rag around it so it don't burn your hand and or fingers.

So, there is a pretty good chance that the can from last year has gone empty. I think if you pull the trigger (no spacer, apparatus not attached to vehicle) the gauge will show the amount of pressure in the can.
Also a full can may have the feel of a full aerosol paint can, and if it is empty it will feel, well, empty. (and weigh less)

I meant I used the trigger assy. ( this was in reference to the "remove the spacer") The can I have on it is brand new, bought last week. I can easily feel the can is full or at least a lot of freon in it. Pulling the trigger does not show the can pressure. Can has been screwed on and shaken per the instructions. Wonder if the can could be defective. Can it be unscrewed from the trigger assy without losing the freon? I can always try another can if it can be unscrewed. Don't want freon going all over if it can't be unscrewed without the freon spraying all over.

Just read the paper again and it says i cannot disconnect the trigger once screwed onto the can, until the can is empty. I'm going to AutoZone tomorrow and see if I can purchase just the trigger assy., just in case mine is defective from sitting since last summer.

Did you screw it onto the can all the way? Try putting it on tighter.

Maybe fasten apparatus to another vehicle to see if you get different results with the guage readings.

grcauto

When you screwed it on the needle pierced it. You can unscrew it slowly and you'll see when it starts to leak and screw it right back on. You'll lose a touch but should be OK. I'm sure your hooked up correctly. About the only way to mess it up is to cross thread it and that would be obvious.

it's on as tight as it can go. At $27/can, I really hate to lose the freon if I don't have to. Going to check it on my other vehicle this morning. If it turns out the low pressure switch is the culprit, when changing it, will the system discharge?

Put the charger on my Jeep and the pressure jumped right up to where it should be. Is it possible that the valve in the low pressure line where the charger connects could be somehow defective, sealing in what's there but not making contact and "opening" when I attach the charger?

grcauto

Just to be sure you are hooking it up to the large pipe (suction side) and not the small pipe.....correct?

The connections are different sizes and the charging kit will only fit the large tube. Definitely hooking it up correctly

grcauto

Just making sure....A 2005 most likely came with R134A from the factory. I seen a couple conversions where they installed the valves on the wrong sides.