need owner's manual for '05 Ford Taurus

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I am thinking that can is empty. It read 8 the first time you put it on the taurus, thus read probably just some residual pressure then when you went to trigger it in, it went to zero. The 8 psi combated the empty can thus going to zero basically.

When you hooked it up to the jeep, it jumped to where it should be in the 30ish or so psi right? So we know the valve and guage of the AC pro unit it working. Highly unlikely the valve on the car is defective, but not unheard of. Billr here had a similar event happen to him with some or one of his AC port valves on his 1996 r134 saturn. So I can't say to rule that out. But it is not an often occurrence.

I am just stating what you wrote before. You have had this trigger on there for quite some time thus the seal was broken a long time ago. It may have leaked over time sitting on a shelf in your garage since the seal of the can was broken when screwing on the trigger/gauge that came with the AC pro kit. Yeah, just repeated myself.

BTW, plz be mindful to put some form of identifier in the engine bay near the ac ports telling anyone else that there is a sealer in there.

That will royally f@#k with a pro recovery machine. It will cost a few grand to decontaminate the recovery unit. Even better yet, put some yellow tape or even better, yellow heat shrink around the ac ports. This is just a courtesy to other techs out there who may not have a refrigerant analyzer. Normally, a good kit should have the yellow heat shrink in the sealer/last ditch effort recharge can such as you bought. I have nothing against those kits. Even if the are of the R22 kind. It's the sealer they put in them that really paranoids me. I would hate to gum up my bosses machines cuz I skipped the step of analysing the refrigerant and some guy didn't put the yellow identifier on the ports.

I know alot, and I mean alot of joe blow used car ppl that just charge a system and omit to put the identifier there cuz they want to sell the car. They don't tell the buyer it has a leaking ac. Then I don't know that either, until I get that client in my bay with no ac. I put the analyser on it, then I say I can't touvh his car with a ten foot pole until we decontaminate the whole system of his car cuz it is full of sealer everywhere. Get the drift yet?

Although, if you do AC work as a living and you don't have a analyzer, you merit to have your ac machine funked up by sealer. :eek:

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
We have these on hand at the shop. So when a client is adamant I put a sealant in his ac, we put these tamper evidence sleeves on his ports and a big yellow sticker in the engine bay explaining exactly what is in there. That also goes on the work order, so even if he removes the tamper evidence, we still have that in our data base. http://tracerproducts.com/product/tamper-evident/ Screenshot (283).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
If I put just a tracer in there, I still put a sticker near the ports telling the next tech there is tracer in there and it is safe.

So basically any job I do ends up with a tracer and sticker in it. It is just good practice to do so. When I recharge and add pag oil, I use pag oil with tracer in it. Two birds with one stone and 100% legal and recommended.

Ok nuff said, this thread was after all for a owners manual initially. So I won't harp any firther about other ppls bad practices.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Oh, another some may not know. When a certified tech works on an AC, at least in canada, but I assume USA should be the same but not sure if your country signed the same Kyoto agreements.

Anyway, we have to fill out a form for the registry that goes to the gov with details of work done and your license plate and brief description of car is on there also. It's law. If I don't do that, I am personally liable up to a 2500$ fine, my boss up to a 25000$ fine if the freon police come sniffing around.

Last edited:
The can is NOT empty. I can feel the weight plus the liquid "sloshing "' in it. It was a brand new can I just put on before creating this thread. I've handled enough bottles/cans of some form of gas or another to know when I'm holding an empty can. If the valve on the A/C is NOT defective, then I feel there's a more serious problem. Called an A/C shop, and have an Oct 10 appt to get it looked at.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Frustration is what I feel sometimes also.

If you feel the can full, I most definitely believe you now since you put this forth with such enthusiasm. Threads like these are extremely hard to follow and help others. The most we can do as a collective is to strive to find a solution. Internet is a great thing, but it does have its down sides.

I have been coming here long enough to know the difference between a thumper of ideas, and your not one of them. I once had some op here litteraly telling me I had no idea what the f I was talking about. Telling me my diagrams were shyte, my opinions resembled garbage he could find at his local kindergarten. I said fine, go piss off some other site. I think some one here with more admin power just banned the prick. He was a class "a" a hole. Like I said, your not one of them.

I am known for being a bit on the funny side of things, I am what some might consider an acquired taste, bitter or sweet as that may sometimes be. But be assured, I always have the op's interests in heart in the long run.

So, all that being said, maybe your first thought on posting the different problems with this car in the proper forums would have been better. And I for one did NOT help you in this endeavor and am sadly sorry for that, as I see I may have hindered more than helped.

But this will not discourage me from helping. I like this site and respect it too much.

kuddos to your bro, he sounds very straight up guy. I wish more humans were like that/us.

Helping others for free, is not easy. Sometimes ppl come here and do not know the effort it take to assemble pdf's, wiring's, assembling all that and trying to give a layman's term to it all. It takes hours to do so. I have a full time job, and a life, yet year after year, week after week, day after day I still come here in hopes of meeting someone like you that actually follows directions and gives back feedback. Which you have done every step of the way.

So my advice to you, don't give up on us yet. But maybe that appointment will be better for you. Cuz up here in the north right now, the last things on our mind is AC.

We are preparing for bitter winter. Which is about 7months of frozen hell. But I would not trade my northern climate for a place where I need AC all day long, I would just get plain lazy. :cool:

Nick, I am not frustrated with you, but with the way i sometimes present things that end up being misconstrued. Don't stop with you humor. The cold weather is upon us all, so from that stand point it isn't a pressing issue. BUT the A/c also works when putting the selector to "defrost". I use that feature a lot when the inside of my windshield becomes foggy. That's the main reason I want it working.
I agree it should have been actually three different threads, and have done that in the past, but I casually mentioned the A/C and cruise issues and before we knew it, we were troubleshooting all the issues in one thread. Sorry about that.
if you keep any kind of records, you'll see Ii have contributed in the past, and fully intend to do so again, after we're done with my issues on the Taurus.
As per feedback, having a technical background,, ( just not in automotive)I understand the need for details/feedback. The more I know, the better I can troubleshoot and repair a problem. I used to do a lot of CB radio work when they were real popular, and a lot of work on Electronic organs, keyboards, etc. Mostly I built/serviced radar used in our F4Phantoms, ECM pods, and of late, the big AWACS planes. Even worked on the first black and white camera Neil Armstrong took to the moon. We be bros in some ways.!! LOL Now I am retired, and just like to sit back and try to stump you with my used vehicle problems!!o_O

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Mostly I built/serviced radar used in our F4Phantoms, ECM pods, and of late, the big AWACS planes. Even worked on the first black and white camera Neil Armstrong took to the moon. We be bros in some ways.!!
In that case, I would certainly buy you a beer or a whole 24 just to hear those stories. But for that, you have to come up here, cuz I did some stupid stuff which for some reason, needs a queens pardon to set foot in the US of A.

:eek:;)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I still don't know why in 2018 that queen is still ruler of my world. But that is probably not something I really want to write about. Never know, maybe one of those things you worked on back in the past is listening or reading me right now.

Damn, forgot to buy more tinfoil for my balding head. :p

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Just for fun, thought I would throw out a pic of three generations. Tomorrow, that pic will show a more mature grandson and father.

My father still kicks ass. He is the older guy with the almost non existent grey hair. 20171225_140022.jpg 39883124_863029753896141_1206912151210426368_n.jpg

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The only thing I have gained from this site is a better understanding of english in its written form, a whole bunch of fellowship, a hat or two, still waiting on a few t shirts, but I don't want to piss off the site administrator with my incessant demands for new clothing.

I am after all a automotive tech. I get dirty. They should make the BAT auto stuff in black. That way I could wear them longer in public.

Back to building and servicing radar for a F4. What a god damn trip. I was almost enlisted in the canadian army for aeronautical technician, but my GF/wife of my son said that if I went into the army, she would leave me. Well, I choose pu$$y over pension, and here I am at 6 am waiting for the closest restaurant to open to make me canadian bacon and eggs cuz my current GF which is sleeping in my bed will snore till noon.

I am a very early person. Have been all my life. That is how you get things done. Sleeping can wait till I die, I'll have all the time in the world then.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
When I look at some of my older posts from back in 2008, I see this site has greatly improved my english skills. Also, it has taught me patience. Something my father tried to teach me. I say tried. I was a street fighter. A hoodlum of sorts. Boy have I changed over the years.

And all that, is mostly imparted to guys like you Gollythumper. I humbly than you for that.