Make
gm
Model
silverado
Year
Miles
too many
Engine
Has anyone used the new designed GM A6 compressor that is now revised and built with aluminum and can use either R12 or 134a? It's supposed to bolt in exactly like the original did same brackets no modifications.. thats the long heavy one GM used in many makes and models in the 1970-80's. thanks for the help and comments.

PC

I do recall those A6 compressors were one of the quietest and smoothest running compressors. Loaded with R12 would literally turn the cabin into a meat locker. I have a A6 in need of a rebuild and read that the supply of useable cores is drying up. I know that front ceramic shaft seal was a weak point and would sling oil, but they would run for years w/o losing as much as a few ounces of refrigerant. A number of years ago, I bought a reman A6 from a outfit in AZ and that compressor ran flawlessly in a '71 Pontiac. I'll see if I can dig up the name.

cw41

thank you there was a company in phoenix az that specialized in a/c called ackits.com that I just remembered. Maybe they can help. I myself had nothing but troubles with the gm version of the A6. I had one going down the road sieze up, fry the belt and make a mess of things. I see that the ac delco version is still available new but I wouldnt waste my time or money on it. thanks again.

PC

Actually I believe the company was aapak.com and the compressor was a APCO remanufactured, but that was over 10 years ago. Oil is important, if the compressor is starved, it will sieze. When I did the Pontiac, I flushed the system, replaced o-rings and dryer, added proper amount of oil to all components. The compressor I removed didn't have a drop of oil in it. There are also a few auto air conditioning forums on the web devoted solely to auto A/C.