new\used laptop pissing me off

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So now my next step is to follow Dabunk and Billr's advice and use my I7 pc station to configure the 2 terra hd with linux, smash that into the laptop, and if it won't take, the bios is now the obvious problem.

At least, that is my take on how this is going to go.

Oh, sorry for any of you who have a kid with more studs and earrings to count. I may have over generalized on these very up right and outstanding ppl that think this is the way to go in life. But I was brought up that tattoos are ok, as long as they are left unseen with a t shirt to the clientelle you are paid to service. Much less orifices in the face I would rather not see stretched to a fashion which makes me want to gag. It is very hard to take someone seriously when he or she has holes the size of golf balls in the nostrils and ears whilst talking tech support.

For any of you who have kids in this gendre. I sincerely hope you have a WAY MORE OPEN MIND THAN I DO.

Cus if I ever see my son going for that, all my hard earned cash going for his college fund is now off limits. AND THAT IS A FACT HE IS VERY WELL ATTUNED TO.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, update,

I finally found a solution to this install issue. It took me many hours,weeks, months of frustratingly, painstakingly free time and yelling at my GF that I will give up when I die. Period.

She would harp on me to just give up and pay someone to do it for me. That goes against every grain of my fiber of who I am. If I can't figure something out myself, I ain't worth my own salt.

So the low down is;

I download a RUSSIAN clean ISO. Had to learn some russian. Not a language I am willing to become fluent in at all. Kudo's to those that learn Cyrillic . BAM, it worked!!!!

I had been on this issue for the past two months or so.

It was not a bios issue at all. It was a copyright thing, and I basically knew that all along, but was willing to try anything except pay for something I already paid for.

So now that this POS is up and running, time to test it out on our new PICO scope and see how the I5 cpu does.

I know talking about hacking is frowned upon here. But I found, and many others also who are willing to learn a bit of Cyrillic is that russia has no copyright laws. That is and was the work around to the whole problem.

This was not a hack, just circumventing stupid law. Once I paid for a russian activation/product key (which I think was just a bogus key anyway) my out of pocket expense was 2$ out of my pay pal account.

Sent straight to my e-mail.

Install went flawless and screw you to microsoft, lenovo for their useless help and wanting hundreds of dollars of my hard earned cash.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
To follow up further on this, I did not go through with the dual boot ubuntu/windows, I tried that on my other laptop, and no go for most of my ELM 327 applications, way to confusing to run a dual boot and virtual environment to accommodate for a Microsoft dominated market.

I guess in this regards I knew where to choose my battles and I have no time to learn code at this point in time in my life to make/write an across platform/multiple OS software. I will let that up to those who have the guts to stay in front of a computer all day. If I don't move or do something physically with myself, I go nuts. I rather build, modify a system than write the code that powers the whole thing. I have much respect for those who can decipher that language and make a working environment out if it.

My next project will now be an overheating xbox 360 slim that I will modify because I like the kinect thing. 35$ on Kijjiji and spent 2$ at my local computer store for 2 zalman 12v cpu cooler fans. Wish me luck on that one, I want to make this thing as silent as I can cuz that console makes one hell of a racket and overheats in a heartbeat.

To boot, since I now have it apart, I will just paint the damn thing to blend in with the wood.

Looking at a USB port, is there not a way to convert 5v to 12v? I would think so, that will get my neurons going. Some sort of boost converter maybe.

How to make one myself will be cool to learn. Alot better than this useless time I wasted installing windows 10 on a thinkpad.

At least I got her done, and since I like to brag to my GF, I do get things done for cheap which is why we eat Filet Mignon instead of Baloney. Patience is not a virtue she dresses well in. Myself on the other hand, had my ears wide open when my grandfather said to me that all things come to those who WORK HARD and WAIT for it. I was six or so at the time. It has been a life long lesson that will never leave me.

;)

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Next step if the pico does not do well with the I5, I will try an I7 which is not supposed to work with this motherboard, but apparently there is a work around.

However, PICO scopes site states that it only needs a recommended 1 ghz cpu, so I think the I7 would be overkill since I can overclock the I5 past it's 2.5 basic setting.

My only worry is that they do not say if the win 10 os is safe. They do say win 8. So I think I am good, my boss will be happy, I think I will get a christmas bonus this year. ;)

Kind of like on days like today, I was not feeling well, my left leg was numb from sciatic nerve. Gave me time to actually sit down, button up a few things while it swelled down enough for me to walk. I am getting paid as I write since I am saving him money on investment, and I am also vamping up the diagnostic portion of our shop.

This trade of ours is not an easy one. But I sure love it since it is in constant evolution. Also can't wait to see how the new bluetooth J2534 interface works with the think pad.

The other day I welded a support to my lift for a power supply which I need for adjustable voltage and stable DC. I spliced power for that from the wiring for the lift motor. Damn power supply cost more than 400$, wasn't going to let that lying around were any idiot can knock it over whilst I am re-flashing and brick a brand new ECM/whatever module.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Anything you do from the command prompt in Win is faked. If you format or delete partitions, Win still leaves things there that it insists on. You have to boot up the CPU on an entirely different OS to kill Win.
This was the idea behind me using a russian clean install. And It f'ing worked.

Notice Billr from burning california, I do heed advice, and in this case, it was not an entirely different OS, just not bound by copyright. But sure gave a positive result. I was so hell bent on using software limited by north american rights, I just never thought of another way.

As usual, I must thank you for patience and the time you put into my queries. They DO help more than you think. You help me take one step back to move forward three steps. ANd that, in my book, is always a good thing.

billr

wrench
Staff member
DC to DC voltage conversion, like from 5V to 12V, is pretty simple. Let me know if you need help. How many amps of 12V do you need?

billr

wrench
Staff member
"Looking at a USB port, is there not a way to convert 5v to 12v?"

Surely you aren't going to try to make 70A of 12V from a USB port?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Haha, of course not Bill. I might have misspoken. The power supply that gives a variable voltage @ 70amps is for the shop when I reprogram a module or do a reflash/calibration, the usb thing is for my xbox project with the kinect thing. My gf laughs at me cuz now I wave at my tv.

I think I found what I need, only 2$.

Here a few links. One for the booster one for the J2534 power supply . I was also wondering if I could have made one myself with a home computer power supply. But since it's on my boss's dime and I don't want to brick a 800$ module once in a while, probably better to play it safe.

My x box project will need this and I can probably solder that in straight to the PCB. I don't want this project to look like a Frankenstein deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5W-5V-To-1...046?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae256b87e

The power supply looks something like this.

https://www.aeswave.com/70A-Power-Supply-Battery-Charger-p8998.html

But my idea for a home made clean dc power supply probably would not work without some major modifications which I am not so good at. But I am always willing to learn. I googled a bit and found that most pc power supplies cannot automatically do variable and output about 20-25amps. I could upstage to 40amps on 5 volts, but that defeats the purpose of automotive applications.

However, I do have a old power supply hanging around and will probably use it for my future projects when the need will arise.

I found this link very informative and seems easy to do, but not for a J2534 interface. However, I could use my old power supply as a trickle charger maybe, I just need to figure how to step down the amperage to about 2-5amps.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Convert-an-ATX-Power-Supply-Into-a-Regular-DC-Powe/

Ok, nuff said, you made me laugh Bill. 70 amp usb fan. Does someone smell smoke? :eek: