GMC guy

Make
Pontiac
Model
G3
Year
Miles
Engine
I have a 2010 pontiac g3. 1.6 Standard tranny with 87.000 km. The battery was dead and a new one was installed. Now, no crank, no run. No codes. Help!

GMC guy

I checked fuses. They are good. Swapped out relays, no go. I am currently thinking anout bylassing clutch switch. Just dont know which of 3 wires to connect.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Go down to the starter with a volt meter. Check for about 12V on the small wire (probably PPL color) while trying to crank. If you have that, then check voltage at the large terminal on the starter, where the battery cable connects. Use the starter case for the other meter lead during these tests, not just some handy chassis metal.

Same idea as billr suggests, just a different twist.

Run a temporary wire from that small starter wire (probably PPL color) up close to the battery + positive terminal. Now touch it to the bat +. If the starter works you have a problem getting voltage to the starter solenoid. If nothing happens you have a starter problem. Simple. In fact I have that wire permanently installed on my cars so that if I ever have a no start problem I can instantly diagnose it without getting dirty.

GMC guy

It turns over with the little wire to battery but no start. Dont hear fuel pump prime

billr

wrench
Staff member
Now we need the schematic for the ignition switch on down to the starter...

GMC guy

Yes i had the ignition turned on. This problem started when the battery went dead. A new battery was installed and it no longer cranked or started

As billr states "Now we need the schematic for the ignition switch on down to the starter..."

Your problem could be the ign switch, clutch switch, brake switch, neutral safety switch, starter relay (you stated you switched it tho) and something that is probably not allowing ign voltage, fuel pump voltage and /or???

I don't think I need to ask you this, but do you have dash lights, etc. Just wondering if the fusable link blew? Just covering all bases.

grcauto

Apply 12 volts to the feed at the relay and see if it cranks. This will narrow down what part of the circuit is bad.
I'm getting posts mixed up. I thought you checked the switch but after revies I see you didn't. Check the ignition switch.

If this was an older GM car, I would be saying that the security feature needs to relearn the "key code". For 2010, I don't know what the situation might be for Passlock, Passkey, etc. But I thought I should mention the possibility as a cause of your problem.