Ford
Model
F-150 2WD
Year
Miles
unk
Engine
4.2 L V-6
I'm just getting into this. As it warms up both heater hoses are heating, before the top rad hose is flowing; so I'm kind of assuming there is flow through the heater core. I need diagrams showing how I can reach in and make sure the core is getting hot, and how to check the blend door. I'm expecting it is something to do with the blend door.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Thanks. The video was kind of jerky and blurry, but shows what I need to know. I don't have the '99 here right now, but it is similar if I'm remembering correctly.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Thanks, that also helps; same story, but told better. This video pointed out the T&G on the box that needs to be cut and, more important, where the A/C evaporator is that you want to avoid cutting into! Unfortunately, neither video shows the actual cutting process. That's not important to me, I am an accomplished "artist" with a die-grinder and such, but actually showing ways that can be done would be helpful to a newbie. Too bad only the grinder was shown, not also the type cutter to use in it...

When I cut into a hvac box, I usually use a thin blunt knife blade that I heat with a torch. I bend the blade to get into awkward areas. Get it red hot so that I can cut with delicate pressure, reheating often. Plastic melts, a metal core won't. If I am going in blind, I will make a small hole first, then look or feel inside to see what the situation is. Small holes are so easy to patch with the "shiny metal tape" that I will always make several small holes rather than a big one.

billr

wrench
Staff member
"Plastic melts, a metal core won't."

Ah, a common-sense tip that is priceless! I won't have any trouble, but your's is certainly the method that should have been mentioned in both those videos.

grcauto

"Plastic melts, a metal core won't."

Ah, a common-sense tip that is priceless! I won't have any trouble, but your's is certainly the method that should have been mentioned in both those videos.
Vacuum lines and wire insulation is another story. Regardless how you do it just be careful and you'll be OK.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I think of wires insulation as being the same story. Sure, you could nick the insulation with thermal, but the wire will still be intact. It is a lot easier to tape over a bare spot in the insulation than splice the whole wire.