no heat or low heat on passenger side complaint.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Make
dodge
Model
journey
Year
Miles
????
Engine
3.6l
Me again with a fun problem.

Phantom cop car/soccer mom van in my bay the other day. Two techs went over it before, conclusion was all actuators for passenger side operating in specified values, auto diagnostics of HVAC head unit come back normal. Nothing to report abnormal.

Since google is my friend,

I take my laptop out and google "no heat on passenger side" for this soccer mom cop car. One thing catches my attention. Reverse heater core hoses.

My man brain tells me this is nonsense, cuz I tell myself, if heater core was blocked, no heat on both sides would exist as a symptom. But at this point, since two techs did their best, I will try anything. So I reverse the core hoses, coolant that dropped out was sufficient for me to put in a 10min rad flush agent, beat the shyte out of the phantom cop car engine way beyond what is recommended, since it was out of service, I could do what I wanted. Safe to say, I did exactly what the cops do to their rides, basically didn't give a flying F if it broke, tax payer will front the bill.

Temps come immediately up to my great surprise. But there is still a 6 degree difference between both ducts. In Fahrenheit nobody would really notice, but in Celsius, it is a noticeable difference. So I go old school, shove shop rags and even old work socks in the air ducts. Hear a whistler noise under the upper cover of dash.

Conclusion, this van had two distinct problems affecting the same system. One, a partially blocked heater core that was blocked on the segment of the core which shared the dual zone flap.

Next problem to address, why losing blower air due to air loss in air circulation system.

Conclusion there was wiring for strobe lights put in after factory, was done wrong at the facility were they modify the police packs. Usually, these guys do this day in and day out, probably can do that in their sleep, but this time, one forgot to put back in push pins and OEM tie raps, left the demister ducting loose.

So, 6 hours later, put it all back together, temps even on both sides.

Wow, you don't see this kind of problem every day. :eek:

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
For those who want to know, the demister is under the defog air ducting. Notice push pins. Or should I call those "tabs"? Anyway.

Some guy off his game forgot to put them back in, shoved wiring under and around there with no regard to futur problems.

Us guys at the shop had a laugh, couldn't this problem have waited until winter, who needs heat in summer? ;) I guess cops do. :eek: tax payer :money: @ work.

Screenshot (233).png Screenshot (234).png

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Since I had every thing under there in my hands, I put in new double sided glue tape whatever my french is preventing me from formulating around each and ever duct, flap/door.

Now my back hurts from being a contortionist. I am not getting any younger.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Afterthought.

Since I work on police stuff, I have noticed some cops will just invent some stupid problem just cuz they don't like the car they have to work with.

That way, they get a loaner. Hey, even myself, if I had to drive a white dodge journey equipped with all the bells and whistles, but only has a 3.6l in it, and even if you try to punch it, still won't burn rubber, I would be looking at that charger for a break of the soccer mom thing. :eek:

The ford expeditions AWD and the taurus AWD police packs will surprise anyone.