No tail lights??

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by rodneym, Feb 8, 2008.

1. rodneym

rodneym Newbie

Hello,

I have a 1999 GMC suburban, and I noticed that my tail lights dont work today, everything else works, backup, blinkers, and brakes, just no regualar tail/license plate lights, do you know what could be wrong, I checked all fuses and they are fine, I do have a trailer hitch setup, do you think the problem is there, any help would be great, thanks.

Rodney ???

2. brcidd

brcidd Hero Member

How about that ground wire (G401) on left side rear frame rail? -- it must be attached and clean to complete the circuit. Don't ever forget the ground wires-- everyone wants to check fuses- but it takes both power and ground to make the circuit complete....

3. dmac0923

dmac0923 Jr. Member

if you installed the trailer hitch and trailer wiring yourself and its not from the factory, that would be my first place to look. my guess is the splice into the factory wiring harness for the trailer lights has corroded or came loose

4. anml726

anml726 Newbie

What few bad grounds we have had in the body shop I work in have all duplicated the symptoms you describe. Good fuses, some lights work while others don't or the act funny. We've even had turn signals come on when you turn on the headlights and all sorts of wierd things just from a ground being a little loose. Check the grounds.

5. NickD

NickD wrench

Ha, why don't you check the bulbs first, most obvious, they tend to burn out at the same time. The filaments in the tail lights are far more delicate than the ones in the brake lights and are used far more frequently. When 36 V electric systems were discussed, kind of a dead issue now, making a robust 36 volt filament at the same wattage was one of the biggest problems, lots more turns of a much lighter gauge tungsten wire has to be used where the slightest amount of vibration would break that filament.

The brake and tail lights share the same ground, and if the brakes work, so will the tail lights, use a little logic.

6. dmac0923

dmac0923 Jr. Member

also a bad headlight switch comes to mind, ive had that happen to me on a 95 lumina

7. NickD

NickD wrench

LOL, that also kills the front parking lights, always walk around the vehicle first, with the lights on. They do that when taking your kids for a drivers test, good to do that before you even leave.

Another good habit to get into when buying a new vehicle is to read the owners manual and buy fuses and spare running lights for your vehicle, put those in zip lock bag and toss in with the spare tire. Every five minutes they are coming out with new essentially the same light bulbs and fuses, but ones that won't fit anymore, and a light bulb can go out at anytime. Also gives a cop a reason to stop you, were doing that down in Texas taking your money as well, because 95% of the money is drug tainted.