Make
Plymouth
Model
Grand voyager
Year
Miles
Engine
3.3 6cyl
Seems like the info I seen on a lot of videos that pertained to a non working horn and a air bag light being on pointed towards a bad clock spring so I took a risk and bought one an put it on but it didn't remedy the problem. I have not applied power directly to the horns yet from the batteven though the horns have elec connectors on them this conry to see if they work outside of some electrical issue. While eyeball the location of the horns I noticed a electrical connector that was not plugged in and just dangling. The connector has one solid black wire and one purple wire with a red stripe. Even though the horns have connectors on them this mystery unplugged connector looks sort of tied into the wiring connectors attached to both horns. Looking for some advice on troubleshooting this non working horn. I swapped out relay with another from another spot for horn but still didn't work. Both 10 amp fuses for air bag look good.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
There are five elements to the horn system.

The horns, the relay, the BCM, clockspring and the horn switch itself. ALSO, THE 20AMP FUSE (#7)

Normally, applying 12v bat to pin 87 of the horn relay should produce sound regardless. So that would be step one. Try to bypass the relay pin 30 and 87 in PDC. If no sound, suspect bad blown fuse if no juice on pin 30, or suspect bad horns, or bad wiring. If all good, work back from there.

There is no ppl with red stripe in the horn wiring. Here it is to help you trouble shoot.

Screenshot (235).png

Consider auto horns a throwaway item, typical are two, Low Tone 370 Hz. High Tone 420 Hz, around ten bucks each. Well except the ones on my motorhome and boat, chrome plated and external mount. Those had screws on it so I could take them apart, clean the contacts and good to go again.

Most have an adjustment screw to fine tune the frequency, but a tad too loose of tight, they won't work at all.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I gotta ask... is the air-bag light off now? If not, the clock-spring replacement is probably bad.

buddyguy

Ok
I gotta ask... is the air-bag light off now? If not, the clock-spring replacement is probably bad.
air bag light is still on and funny thing is when I removed the yellow ( I assume ) air bag connection it popped out so easy and when I connected the yellow air bag connector on new clock spring it didn't really act like it wanted to hardly push in too

buddyguy

ok I was wondering... is there really much to be on side of error in replacing the clock spring? just seeing if I might of installed it wrong somehow but I don't think its even possible to connect connectors wrong yes air bag light still on

Last edited:

buddyguy

The horns, the relay, the BCM, clockspring and the horn switch itself. ALSO, THE 20AMP FUSE (#7)

Normally, applying 12v bat to pin 87 of the horn relay should produce sound regardless. So that would be step one. Try to bypass the relay pin 30 and 87 in PDC. If no sound, suspect bad blown fuse if no juice on pin 30, or suspect bad horns, or bad wiring. If all good, work back from there.

There is no ppl with red stripe in the horn wiring. Here it is to help you trouble shoot.

View attachment 10125
my fuses interior and exterior are labeled as to what they are and I have not actually seen one labeled horn so im trying to see where this fuse # 7 is you mentioned. I don't have owners manual but fuses are marked as to what they are. I do see horn relay in eng compartment but have not seen an actual 20 am fuse #7 labeled horn

buddyguy

View attachment 10125
oh I did find my horn fuse afterall and forgot I had already checked it. I put my clockspring on in the dark and I seen on the old part awhile ago that its not to be rotated without steering wheel on and I don't recall if I heeded that instruction. is it possible that if its turned before steering wheel is in place that could be my problem and that it is a clock spring issue and the new one was turned without the steering wheel on first. I see the two little springs on the old one so could it be that its not positioned correctly and therefore it could still be that it was a clockspring issue

billr

wrench
Staff member
Short answer? Yes, the clock-spring can be damaged by not installing correctly; especially in regard to turning the steering shaft to the wrong position.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
If that clockspring turns off steering or installed with wheel turned and it is centered with yellow arrow tapes, then you killed it there also.

The wiring is perfecty centered and should be installed so, as with front wheels straight. Any deviation from that and you f"ed the clockspring and need a new one.