Non working stair lift

eddieguy

Posting for my brother on a non working stair lift chair. My brother has one of those stair lift chairs that rides up and down a rail to help people get up and down the stairs and it just stopped working properly. The chair will go down the rail but weakly and will not go up at all. I was thinking maybe it would go down because gravity was helping it. It has 2 twelve v batteries and I measured 11.01 across one and 7.79 across the other. My brother was cleaning the rail that the chair rides up and down the stairs on and used 409 to clean with and he wiped the copper plates at the top and bottom of rail and thinks this may have led to a charging problem because these are the spots the chair sits to get it's charge. Talked to a person at batteries+ and they said the battery I read 7.79 volts on would be too low to bring back up. Would the fact that my brother cleaned those Cooper plates the way he did lead to the downfall of the battery? I will try to post pics that may be helpful

billr

wrench
Staff member
Those copper contacts look good enough to me, but you could shine them up quickly with a Scotch-Brite pad. What voltage do you read across those contacts? Have you charged the batteries with an external charger?

Having that big voltage difference probably means both batteries are worn out (if they are the same age).

There may be a safety switch that turns off power strips unless chair is sitting on them. So I suggest test batt voltage when stopped at midpoint, then move chair to the end and measure voltage again. If voltage has higher reading, connection to charger would be verified.

eddieguy

. Seems like I read .09 volts across copper contact but I'll check again. Would I be able to use my car battery charger to attempt charging these 12 volt batteries? I know there supposed to be 12 volt batteries but would there be anything different about them that would make it not right to charge with a car battery charger. I actually used my car battery charger to charge an old cell phone battery once and it worked
Wasn't going to use the phone and it had a unique charging port

You can use automotive charger, but with caution. If the batteries are small (motorcycle?) and your charger is large, only charge at a low amp setting.

billr

wrench
Staff member
As Dan pointed out earlier, there may be no charging voltage at those contacts simply because the seat isn't parked over them to make contact and trip a safety switch. Can you reach in to measure the charging voltage when the seat is parked there? We need to figure out if the batteries won't hold a charge, or aren't getting a charge

eddieguy

As Dan pointed out earlier, there may be no charging voltage at those contacts simply because the seat isn't parked over them to make contact and trip a safety switch. Can you reach in to measure the charging voltage when the seat is parked there? We need to figure out if the batteries won't hold a charge, or aren't getting a charge
Ok I think I see what your saying - if I understand correctly I may not get what it's capable as far as charging if I'm trying to read contacts when the chair is not parked there and I need to try and read the set of contacts at the bottom end where the chair is actually parked. I'll take another look at it but im not sure but that I can reach in there somehow with the chair itself being in the way. What if the chair is removed maybe I can somehow read the wiring connector that would connect to the chair. I possibly could post pic of that

billr

wrench
Staff member
Can you get to the battery terminals when the seat is parked? We just need to start with finding out if the battery is getting charged or not. If there is not a proper charging voltage at the battery terminals, then we can look for the cause. If we have to go down that path, pretty quick it would probably help if you post the make/model of the chair system. Maybe there is info, like a schematic, available online.

eddieguy

Can you get to the battery terminals when the seat is parked? We just need to start with finding out if the battery is getting charged or not. If there is not a proper charging voltage at the battery terminals, then we can look for the cause. If we have to go down that path, pretty quick it would probably help if you post the make/model of the chair system. Maybe there is info, like a schematic, available online.
My brother has informed me that he contacted the stair lift company and they are going to check it out . Sorry I was not aware