o2 sensor

Well I'm still working on the 97 GMC -1500- Z71- 5.7 . It turns out that it must not have been a shorted wire as it keeps blowing fuses , but only after driving a couple of miles. My question -- do o2 sensors short out ? The code reader keeps referring to bank 2 sensor 1. "I'm going to get it" Perry in Bangor

kev2

wrench
what was the code?
remind us .....was this the vehicle with multiple transmission changes?
exactly which fuse is problem??

Sensors have 2 circuits the monitor circuit and the heater element.... 

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Please answer the info posted above, It will help bunches. Yes, an o2 can short as could any electrical device. Usually an o2 short is the heater section but the wires leading to it do tend to get awfully near the exhaust system. Post back, Transman

Yes , same truck with trans change. Code p0151, The fuse is under hood,indicated as ENG 1. I've been under the truck twice for quite some time checking wires and harnesses. I thought I found it today, found a wire that runs through a metal loom on right side of engine. Isolated wire and made sure it couldn't touch. Let truck down and drove it just on property, not on road. Did have it in 4WD,it blew the fuse again. When I drive the truck for several miles, I get a lot of codes, all related but I'm sure from one central cause. 6 codes to be exact, some duplicated in freeze frame.codes are 102 / 340 / 151 / 308 / 174. These codes dont all show up every time. Just don't want to go out and buy a lot of parts I don't need. THX in advance , as I'm sure we can fix this machine. I am an old school mechanic. this modern tech rattles my brain but I'm not afraid of it. To quote someone on here "We learn from mistakes" again thx, look foward to replys.
Perry in Bangor

Gus

wrench
ENG-1 fuse feeds canister, MAF, cam sensor, A.I.R., purge solenoid, all 4 O2 sensor heater circuits......you haqve your work cut out to find a short....

kev2

wrench
the fuse (circuit) powers....EGR, Purge valve, CMP, and heater circuit all 4 02 sensors....it is the solid pink wire on these items...

the first thought would be engine off key off .....unplug the 02 sensors one at a time, checking if the pink circuit is grounded,

It will get tough after that
If someone could post location of s108 ...splice 108

[attachment deleted by admin]

ironhead

Unplug the passenger side forward O2 sensor and drive the truck. I may not run perfectly and it will set a code for thet sensor, but the computer should be able to work around the missing sensor enough to drive the vehicle. If it blows the fuse again, the problem is NOT the sensor itself.
Guy

"Halleluia" Spent most of the day yesterday and finally found the problem, The little group of wires that supply the right side o2 sensor got between the bell housing and engine block when I changed the Tranny. The more I drove the truck the worse it got, until I got a continuos dead short.It was only intermittent before.Im going to town today for an Injection in my shoulder. Will see if the light stays off this time. I'm pretty confident that it will.Will post back with the outcome. Thanks Guys, we just need a little guidance now and then.
Perry in Bangor