Oil leak B/S 17 1/2 hp Model 31g177 2007

Discussion in 'Small Engines' started by flattire, Aug 8, 2015.

1. flattire

flattire Full Member

Oil leaking half dozen drops daily. Oil getting on top of muffler and smokes. My question ,is there a gasket under the OHV cover at front of engine , the cover is covered with oil. could this be my problem. Thanks for helping.

2. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Is this a valve cover with a single screw in the center? Mine like that has a rubber seal under the rim of the cover and a rubber seal around that screw. Neither are terribly obvious until you remove the screw and pull the valve cover off. The rim seal is pretty flimsy, with little to "capture" it, you may need to only reposition it, maybe even glue in place with RTV or similar.

3. flattire

flattire Full Member

Mine has 4 screw parts , one in each corner. parts manual shows single gasket. Will get one Monday an will get back to you. Thanks for helping Bill

4. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

OK, sorry for the bum info. I was too lazy to look up an IPB for your engine P/N, was assuming all the B&S OHV engines were similar.

5. flattire

flattire Full Member

I may have fixed it. The lower left hand screw on the rocker panel cover was loose, tightened it and cleaned up all around the area and one small drip since yesterday around noon. Thanks again for your input.