Outlook Acadia Traverse...best way to remove engine

Lol it can be done with a cherry picker, as bad as I hate to admit it I have pulled off this horrendous feat. Expect a good week at it! You will need a heavy duty base with wheels to set the engine cradle on as you lift body off. Its really not easy, if you aren't turning wrenches on the regular you probably won't want to do this. It CAN be done but I would recommend doing as nickb2 said and just fight the front cover. Either way its gonna really test your patience. Good luck and use extreme caution if you decide dropping cradle is your best way!

jd

Met a guy who was a body shop mechanic at a Buick dealer. His job was to remove the Powertrain so the shop could work on Unibody damage. Said he could have the engine/transaxle/crossmember out in 45 minutes. Of course he had experience and the shop had dollies for the engine cradle and for the body. Anyhow, at which point I asked if he'd like to hire out to replace the camshaft in a Century we had. He declined, said he had enough wrenching at work. So I developed my own plan:

Somehow, I'd learned it went from Awful to Easy, replacing the steering rack in that Century, by lowering the rear end of the Cradle. In other words, loosened front cradle bolts and removed the rear ones. So for the camshaft, I raised the car, removed the passenger side strut, loosened driver side cradle and removed passenger side bolts. Able to drop that side (front of engine) to give me good access to Timing Cover and clearance to pull the Camshaft out. I realize I was not trying to get to the tops of the heads or even farther up, like an OHC engine requires. Still, thought I'd mention this and let you decide if it helps.

teehee

I didn’t give up, just had to park it until holidays were over! I just dropped the motor today and thought I’d share some pics with everyone here. Boy oh boy!

Attachments

teehee

Do I even bother attempting to repair? How likely is it that I have bent valves and damaged crank bearings? I found a 60k motor for $1000, kinda leaning t

I see heavy imprint of valves on pistons, broken rockers, broken camshaft bearing caps. I would think that the valves got shoved so hard into the rockers that the cam bearing caps broke. That engine is totaled. Do NOT try to fix it.

teehee

You have very good eyes! Yes major carnage. I found a replacement engine from an 08 Cadillac CTS with low miles, but has a rod knock...,it’s super cheap, should I at least look at it? New bearings? Maybe new chain and water pump

It would have to be free before I would want to dig into it and possibly discover major problems that would make it unusable like the one you took out.

teehee

I’ve never bought a used engine before....seems kinda like a crapshoot not really knowing what you have until it’s installed and you turn the key. Salvage yards are asking $2,000+ for these engines, sure they have a 30-90 day warranty, but that’s little consolation to me if it fails prematurely and I’m the one pulling it out to return it. What’s the best way to check out a used engine to have an idea of its internal condition?

If the starter bolts to the engine, you can attach starter, cables and battery to do a compression test.

It there is oil leakage at oil pan or valve cover(s), open that up to have a look, because you will want a new gasket on there anyway.

A bigger gamble would involve doing all that timing chain stuff on an unknown engine, especially if you have never done a complex timing chain job and don't have special tools that may be required.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Is the Caddy engine identical to what you have in the Saturn? If you are wondering about transplanting a non-identical engine/trans, that is never practical. Both your engine (and the Caddy) could be saved, the question is cost.

If you have the time, I suggest complete disassembly of the existing engine to further evaluate it. That may involve some expense, like to check the connecting rods for alignment, check the crank, check the block/heads for cracks; things like that. Obviously, saving the old engine will require some services of a good machine shop; for inspections if nothing else.

Personally, I would rather put $2000 into doing a good rebuild of the existing engine. However, that $2000 for a JY one seems kind of high. Shop around some if you want to go the JY route.

Last edited:

teehee

Well here’s where I am now...I found a 2011 Camaro engine, same 3.6 LLT, with 90k on it for $130!!! There’s a catch...it has similar issues as my motor, however in much better overall condition with 60k less miles. So... my plan is to go through this motor and do as much of a rebuild as I can. This way I know what I have with little left to chance. I did find a good running engine with 105k on it for $650, but even then, given the timing chain issues of these engines, I wouldn’t feel extremely confident in the longevity of it without opening it up and doing the chain. Am I worrying too much? I really need opinions!!! Also, what’s a good source for technical data when rebuilding these LLT high feature 3.6 engines?

jd

I'll give away my age. Back in the 1970 engine swapping days, we found that engines of the same brand, year, displacement...Mounted Differently. Be sure whatever motor mount pads/bosses are needed to install into the Traverse, are in fact on the engine out of the Camaro. Back in "The Day" the required mountings for one model might not be on an engine out of another. I don't know if that's being done lately. Can't hurt to check.

I have the feeling our professional techs don't want you trying to rebuild the engine you pulled, thinking the block itself might have been damaged when the pistons and valves collided.

teehee

my only experience similar to this was with a 2005 Chevy Aveo...interferance engine, belt broke and bent all 16 valves to a certain degree. I installed a remanufactured head and new timing set and all was good. I never even looked at the bottom end...maybe I just got lucky? I put another 80K miles on it before selling the car. So I guess in my current situation I have exhaust valves bent on on head, so I can't imagine that the damage would be anymore extensive than that of the Aveo. I do plan on inspecting the lower end for obvious problems.