Outlook Acadia Traverse...best way to remove engine

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by teehee, Nov 5, 2017.

1. KrazyK-nampa

KrazyK-nampa Full Member

Lol it can be done with a cherry picker, as bad as I hate to admit it I have pulled off this horrendous feat. Expect a good week at it! You will need a heavy duty base with wheels to set the engine cradle on as you lift body off. Its really not easy, if you aren't turning wrenches on the regular you probably won't want to do this. It CAN be done but I would recommend doing as nickb2 said and just fight the front cover. Either way its gonna really test your patience. Good luck and use extreme caution if you decide dropping cradle is your best way!

2. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
  3. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
  4. jd

jd Hero Member

Met a guy who was a body shop mechanic at a Buick dealer. His job was to remove the Powertrain so the shop could work on Unibody damage. Said he could have the engine/transaxle/crossmember out in 45 minutes. Of course he had experience and the shop had dollies for the engine cradle and for the body. Anyhow, at which point I asked if he'd like to hire out to replace the camshaft in a Century we had. He declined, said he had enough wrenching at work. So I developed my own plan:

Somehow, I'd learned it went from Awful to Easy, replacing the steering rack in that Century, by lowering the rear end of the Cradle. In other words, loosened front cradle bolts and removed the rear ones. So for the camshaft, I raised the car, removed the passenger side strut, loosened driver side cradle and removed passenger side bolts. Able to drop that side (front of engine) to give me good access to Timing Cover and clearance to pull the Camshaft out. I realize I was not trying to get to the tops of the heads or even farther up, like an OHC engine requires. Still, thought I'd mention this and let you decide if it helps.