BC

Make
Chevy
Model
Sonic
Year
Miles
Engine
Thermostat was changed approximately one year ago. Should I be looking for a correlation signal between the radiator coolant temp sensor and the engine coolant temperature (ETC). Or is there a common issue with the thermostats? I do believe the water pump is working. About all I have is a meter to work with. Thanks BC

Anytime that I have been faced with diagnosing a code P00B7, it has meant that the powertrain control module (PCM) had detected a discrepancy in the correlating signals between the radiator coolant temperature sensor and the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor. This may cause the PCM to reach the conclusion that engine coolant flow is restricted. In order to make sure that coolant is flowing as intended between the radiator and the engine cooling passages, coolant temperature in the radiator is sometimes monitored in comparison with the temperature of coolant in the engine.

The radiator coolant temperature sensor monitors coolant temperature in much the same manner as the ECT sensor. It is typically inserted into one of the radiator tanks but may also be fitted into a pressurized coolant reservoir.

If the PCM detects voltage signals from the ECT sensor and the radiator coolant temperature sensor which differ from one another by greater than the maximum allowable parameter, a code P00B7 will be stored and a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) may be illuminated. Multiple drive cycles with a failure may be required for MIL illumination.

Causes for this engine code may include: Low coolant Stuck thermostat Defective ECT sensor Faulty radiator coolant temperature sensor Shorted or open circuits or connectors Bad PCM or PCM programming error