p0500 vehicle speed sensor-FIXED

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by oddone1975, Aug 15, 2017.

1. kev2

kev2 wrench

that's what I thought - was just adding what info I had available.

The differential mounted sensor is likely your problem.
    They can be tested... BUT test time getting wiring diagrams together plus labor vs just R&R would have a tech replacing, wholesale is < @20$.

Vehicle up wheels off ground , cleaning connector probing wiring then spinning wheels while observing a DVOM set in AC mode at $100+ hour.
    Makes for some judgement calls over a 20+$ failure prone part that's @20 YEARS OLD.

oddone1975 likes this.
  2. oddone1975

oddone1975 Sr. Member

Might explain why my brake and abs light stay on thing is looking the parts up everyone has the screw in one for the automatic transmission on the shelf but the one like mine they have to order

3. jd

jd Hero Member

Looked 1998 1500 with 5.2 up on RockAuto.com and there may be transmission codes or the like that I didn't have. What I noticed was this differential mounted Sensor that looks like what I had on the Ford. It mounted on the very Top Front of the Differential Housing. The fluted end, below the O-Ring, is looking straight down.[​IMG]

One two-wire connector with a clip feature, one screw. Ours was 10mm socket. Sealed with only the O-Ring shown. Clean the area close to it first so stuff doesn't fall into the axle oil.

Posts about screw-in sensors are sure right. Saw lots of those on Rock.

4. oddone1975

oddone1975 Sr. Member

Fixed replaced sensor in rear end now speedometer works great and my brake and abs light are out next is finding the map sensor lol

5. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

6. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

7. oddone1975

oddone1975 Sr. Member

Um yeah wrong pic I think mine is mfi not carb or tbi but here's the kicker when sensor in the rear end failed truck threw 3 codes one for speed sensor,o2 sensor and map sensor voltage codes now speedometer had been acting funny would not register till like 30mph and threw occasional map sensor code but would clear itself I replace speed sensor and now it's not throwing any codes for anything and it shut off the brake and abs light that were staying on

8. oddone1975

oddone1975 Sr. Member

Also before when downshifting and coming to a stop truck would stall since replacing speed sensor it doesn't do that anymore and as far as the check engine light for the other codes that came up when speed sensor crapped out I put over 400 miles on yesterday with no issues or the light coming back on and it seems weird but would that one sensor being bad trigger false readings for other sensors?

9. jd

jd Hero Member

Thanks for reporting this progress! I hate simply replacing a part, but I believe that ABS sensor doesn't check with an ordinary meter. At the price it's worth a shot.

10. oddone1975

oddone1975 Sr. Member

oh its all done and replaced it solved multiple issues as i posted above just if you read my 2 previous comments on what truck was doing that by simply replacing a speed sensor is no longer doing i am sorta confused and wondering if somehow multiple sensors rely on the reading from that one

11. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Highly unlikely that a speed sensor will cause MAP or O2 sensor codes.

12. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Me thinks that this is the right picture. ;)

Yes it is multipoint fuel injection, and that is not a picture of a TBI . It is only a throttle plate/body mounted directly on intake manifold/plenum. TPS, MAP and IAC are directly mounted there as usual on most throttle plates/body nowdays. So in essence, this is a throttle body using fuel rails for sequential injection. So, technically, not TBI.

Can you be more specific in regards to what codes are being thrown? example P0XXX.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  13. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Here is another picture where you see the throttle plate and the two fuel rails showing the multiple injectors, hence MFI.

I know Mobile Dan needs no defending on my part, he is quite capable of that himself:D.

I am just trying to clarify that he posted correct info. Screenshot (111).png

14. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    I can see how the casual glance of a picture could lead to misinterpretation.

Here is a picture of a similar mounted TBI. Note the injectors mounted directly atop the throttle body. Looks pretty similar to what Dan showed to the untrained eye.

On this model, we see the IAC and TPS, the MAP is located elsewhere. I have one of these on my work bench right now. I am redoing the gasket kit as the injectors where overflowing due to old gaskets seeping raw unmetered fuel into the engine.

tbi_top_view.jpg

oddone1975 likes this.
  15. oddone1975

oddone1975 Sr. Member

I don't recall what the code # was but one was O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2 I think it said about voltage and other was about the map sensor the map sensor was intermittent throwing code but would clear itself have logged over 500 miles or more since replacing the speed sensor and neither code has come back