P207F

This error code is this the dirty DEF code my millage has dropped to 55mph...

grcauto

Ford tractor? That's not to bad.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Is there any way we could get more info to properly help you?

Things like -> year, model and what planet/universe this thing was constructed in. Mind you, I am not laughing at you. I am just relating what my BAT colleague above commented on.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Cuz last week, I had a huge problem on a GM regeneration.

Truck is screaming outside, clients are getting scared, apprentice is on his third regeneration proccess. When I fell on this problem. I found he had simply not erased mode 6 data, freeze frames and pending codes.

He had called a dashboard. WTF!!! I told the boss, don't even order that, and if it is on it's way, call back pronto. Apprentice is in the weeds.

So, again, is this a sprinter? A ford, or a GM or any other blue tech?

grcauto

This error code is this the dirty DEF code my millage has dropped to 55mph...
Mileage has dropped to 55 miles per hour????
You need a proof reader or try something a bit under the 180 proof stuff.
How can we possible help you with the information you provided us?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Of note, don't park said truck over a dry bed of leaves, EGT temps get up to 1200F. You may not need a tech. The fire dept may be more useful at this point. And yes, they sometimes do take up to one full hour to complete. So make sure you do this outside out of ear range and lungs of clients. ;)

I am lucky. I have some cool tools to work with. My IDS was hard to install at first. But usually, you won't need manufacturer specific software if a proper generic scan tool is available such as a strap on virus. Oops, meant snap on versus or an autel maxi sys pro.

I have been wanting to talk about this for some time here. So I will use this thread as an introduction point. Try to add traffic to the thread.

The logic behind the apprentice who spent hours fussing with these processes, the reason why he THOUGHT the cluster was at fault.

He thought the cluster was interfering with the CAN line. It actually wasn't. There was a dormant code which had put the truck into some form of limp in mode. This didn't help him as he did not understand logic behind 100% resetting the ECM parameters to zero.

So, if you can't go above 55mph, not mile per gallon, that means you are effectively in that limp in mode. This is NORMAL and thought out by the engineers to protect the catalytic system. The system will not let you drive the truck normally as it is now in restraint mode due to EPA regulations and needs service. This is all in conjunction with Kyoto and smog agreements such as CNW (canadian and united states air quality agreement). California vehicles have a different set of rules to oblige by. Sadly, I rarely if ever see calif calibrated cars/trucks, so my knowledge there is extremely limited.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
A mercedes truck surprised me. Was able to get her done, but stored codes prevented me from delivering the SUV back to customer and past missed maintenance residuals needed to be erased from the on board computer first. All this just to find out the lady who was driving it, her husband was sick in hospital and he was the one who understood how urea works with the car.

That being said, before these diesels become compliant to client needs, alot of info needs to be transferred into the mind of the person buying or operating this tech. The lady in question had let the urea tank run bone dry. ECM started flashing cluster messages galore, old lady freaked out and thought she had broken her hubbies mercedes. Tried to explain this to her, but I could tell that everything that was coming out of my mouth was going miles over her blue gray hair.

These types of systems need to sing once in a while. Nothing will happen in the regeneration/reduction process if certain parameters are not met. Highway driving should take care of that, and keeping the tank full helps. Sunday driving like grand ma is not going to help things. Much like a GDI system, it will destroy itself from the inside. Different chemistry going on but same result. Crusty internals = high heat were you don't want it= thermal break down of proximity systems and vital fluids.

I see way too many new cats on new cars and truck in my line of work for mis diagnosed maintenance causes. This is partly due to client misunderstanding, but mostly due to service writers not getting enough education and missing the ball on customer service.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So this lady had no idea why we were charging here for scan tool charges and software re-flashes and basic up keep. She was not aware this needed to be done. She did state she was more comfortable with her Cadillac, but that one was also in the shop with a bad cam due to another lack of maintenance issue.

In retrospect. I feel I did give her some form of satisfaction. She did come back a few days later once she had calmed down and bought us doughnuts. Sweet thought whih reinforced that even if she didn't understand my words, she knew I was trying to help her regardless of the fact her husband was nailed to a hospital bed. Score for the HABS.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Now this response on this thread is not for knocking service writers. We need you to prevent the rough guy's like us from ripping the heads off of unsatisfied customers.

Just last week, a girl came into the shop with one heck of a sick 2000 impala. This was the first experience of the apprentice who shares the next stall to me announcing the DOA of her now useless car.

He said wow, that was tough. I said get used to it. You never know. She may be a single mom. Father in jail and can't keep up with bills. This is her lively hood and you have just announced she will now need public transportation or buy something else she can't afford. She literally burst into tears while we helped her navigate the shop back to the waiting area while we waited for her decision to actually come to the conclusion her car was now a public danger.

There is a civic responsibility that comes with this job. Because at any time, if I mess up a job, I can be dragged through court proceedings. God forbid, some ones dies on my last work order. I obsess over this thought every day and knock on wood, even if my rational mind knows this superstition is mindless.

As usual, I will revert to my old ways. On a funny note.

Last week, a tire tech came up to us "real" techs and specifically pointed me out. I said "yes, do you have a question?"

He said, are you all "real" mechanics. I laughed and said "no, we buy 10 000$ tool boxes for fun!!"

:eek::giveup::pizza::coffee::beer:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So, the best way I could help this young tire tech full of piss and vinegar. I told the other guys sharing coffee and smoke break with me, "don't give him grief, he's new to the game." They said, good luck with that one.

By noon time time, three other "real" techs had sent him to me for various reason, such as, "dude told me you have steam?"

I say yeah, what do you need that for? He says "I don't know. Guy over there told me to ask a real tech where the steam is stored.!!!"

Bent over laughing till I thought I would bust a adam and eve rib, I texted the other guy who sent me this fine present to send the buck back and ask me if the car washer could trap some steam with his powerwash and quickly put the lid on it. Then go find a round square.

At this point, this young man is thoughtfully confused. He lights up like a christmas tree. Are you guy;s joshing me? Yeah. We are. Here is a print out of what you really wanted. Reminder to him (moral de cette histoire), don't ever go back where the "real" guys play heavy metal music and kick arse with cop cars and high end stuff and ever ask another stupid question like that again. You may save face.

Last edited: