Parking Brake not holding

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by Chester, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Chester

Chester Newbie

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: Chevrolet
    MODEL: Camaro
    YEAR: 1992
    MILES: 150,000
    ENGINE: 350
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....Car has rear disk brakes. Parking brake will not hold the car. Raised the car, removed the rear wheels and can see the parking brake mechanism working. I cannot turn the rotor with the wheel off and the parking brake applied. Put the wheel on and cannot turn it with the parking brake applied. Put the car back on the ground and the parking brake will not keep the car from moving. The parking brake handle pulls up about 2 inches. Any ideas?

2. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    Is this car new to you or was it OK and now does not hold?

Have you adjusted them?

Drum brakes do make a slightly better parking brake than disc brakes, so maybe it is normal????

3. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

How are you trying to move the car, a slight hill or loading the auto trans to converter stall?

4. Chester

Chester Newbie

I have had this car for 14 years and recently converted it to factory rear disc brakes. The parking brake mechanism has no adjustment- it is self adjusting. The car failed a state inspection which is just requires to brake to keep the car from moving when it is in drive. No application of the gas pedal.

5. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    Because we now understand that it is not stock, I would suggest that you have who ever installed that aftermarket disk rear brake system take care of it. I'm not sure we can be of much help without seeing or being there. The stock drum mechanism may not have the correct mechanical advantage to pull the new disks on or ???

6. Chester

Chester Newbie

I guess I did not explain it well. The car was converted to rear disk brakes with all the same parts that the factory used on rear disk brake cars. The mechanism inside the car is the same for disc and drum brakes.

7. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    Well, something was not done correctly or is sticking or inoperative. Still not sure how to help. It is going to require close inspection I guess. Sorry we have been of no help yet. Maybe someone else here can help.

8. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

Chester...does the parking brake cable attach to the brake caliper, or to some other friction device inside the rotor?

9. jd

jd Hero Member

Did you do the conversion, or somebody else?
    I looked some information up. I notice that there's mention of the parking brake cable. Did something have to be done with it??
    This link https://www.thirdgen.org/ls1reardisc/ talks about installing Fourthgen rear disc brakes on a Thirdgen rear axle. Is that what was done? Article also suggests just getting a Fourthgen axle with the disc brakes... Anyhow, the installation of Fourthgen Disc onto Thirdgen Axle, requires drilling new holes in the axle flange to mount the Fourthgen assemblies.
    Before I go on, a brief interlude: Do your brakes apply the Calipers to the Discs as Parking Brake, or is there a small Drum at the center of the Rotor, then small Brake Shoes in there as Parking Brake? I ask because the article shows a Disc labeled "Rotor with E-Brake Drum." That's a design called "Drum in Hat," but my point is, there are no E-Brake shoes etc pictured. So what kind of E-Brakes is it? Drum in Hat, or E-Brake Incorporated in Caliper?
    Interlude over. If this E-Brake IS Drum in Hat, AND the Brake Flange had to be drilled for Fourthgen brakes... If the Brake Assembly didn't get perfectly centered when the flange was drilled, the Rear Disc Brake Pads would wipe the Rotors slightly different than designed, but would probably work. BUT the Drum Brake Parking Shoes would have very poor contact with the Drum In Hat part of the Rotors.