JP

Make
Pontiac
Model
Torrent
Year
Miles
Engine
I realize that airbag advice is not allowed on the forum, if this qualifies, please delete.

That being said, I'm having some confusion over part numbers for my 2008 Pontiac Torrent. It is the base model with heated seats, but the part number is listed as both 19207141 and 19168441. I'm guessing one is an updated part number. Anyone know which is correct?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Actually, my alldata does not give a part number for the PPS (passenger presence system), but from experience and alldata also confirms my somewhat vague memory, a TSB was released several years ago. So if you got a B1000 with a symptom code 37, you may only need a software update of that module.

Google was not my friend either for part number, to confusing info to actually give you sound advice on that one.

I think that sensor is close to 400$ish.

If you got a B0081, try a re-zero of the PPS.

When I worked for GM dealer, the equinox and torrent I remember a recall for the passenger seat.

My advice to you would be to post the code here first. I may be able to save you a few bones.

In regards to airbags safety, yeah, it is frowned upon to give advice because some ppl are idiots. But essentially, just unplugging/disconnecting any power source such as battery, auxiliary stuff that may give voltage via the CAN/BUS network and waiting a few minutes is the precise way I was taught in my GM airbag courses. Same when I was working for Mopar. I also go to several night courses a year for the general side of the market such as japanese, koreans and euro's. All same.

This is not a debate I want to get in to, but I have given info here on airbags and never got censored. Probably cuz I always use a disclaimer such as "disconnect battery first before attempting repairs" type deal.

But in your case, I would certainly try a re-calibration first if in fact you get a code for that. So plz, try to forward that code to me. It would suck if you bought that sensor, took the time to install it as it is not a easy job. You need to pull the whole seat upholstery. Not an easy job for the uninitiated. I like doing those jobs, which BTW are very rare. Usually, it's just a re-zero/re-calibration that does the trick.

Can I ask what brought you to the conclusion you needed to replace that sensor? I see a whole bunch of google stuff talking about this being a huge issue. Actually, I worked for GM in those years and yeah it was, but 99% of the time, it was only a reflash or a re-zero that did the trick. Just a tech and his laptop.

And if in fact you do have a sensor problem, there is a bypass for that. That I cannot tell you how to do, as that for sure is against forum rules. but check this link out, if in fact your PPS sensor is in fact in needing of replacement.

It's cheaper than a new sensor. I could maybe post elsewhere on how to bypass, but I think I will refrain as I might get sued. :eek:

To many crazy ppl in this world. As I am quite visible here and my internet imprint is quite open.

http://airbag360.com/pontiac-torrent--passenger-airbag-seat-occupancy-sensor---emulator-569-p.asp

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
If the passenger seat gets a lot of traffic with overweight ppl, which I don't see much here in quebec. I usually see this sort of thing from other provinces where life is easier to gain weight.

So fat jokes aside, it is true that if you have some one who is way over weight, it will break the sensor grid over time. Or if your the type that lets your kids jump around, that also will damage the sensor grid.

Basically, bypassing that is just a 49cent fix. You could trying removing the grid and attempting to fix it where it broke, but it won't last.

This is typically what a grid looks like on your car. The picture is for a solstice, but very similar. brokensensor-610x441.jpg

JP

If the passenger sits still, everything is fine. If the passenger shifts position, the airbag indicator light goes from "on" to "off" and the IP message says "service air bag". Very predictably, after 20-30 seconds, the light goes back to on and the IP message goes away. If there's no passenger, the indicator light indicates passenger air bag is off, as it should.

Interesting thought about weight. The passenger who normally rides with me is about 160 lbs. Come to think of it, the other day, my mom rode with me, she's about 106 soaking wet, and there was no problem with the sensor...might be a weight-related issue (calibration) after all?

My interwebz research indicates that there was a recall for 2007 but not 2008. Go figure.

I'll check for set codes and get back to you.

Brain twister for me, suppose to be 20 pounds before that beeper beeps and lights start flashing, but just setting a six pound laptop on mine set it off. But the cure was simple, just fastened the passenger seat belt to keep that thing quiet.

Use to be joke about this, if you put in a 20 pound dead turkey, make sure you fasten the seat belt.

So I am thinking, the problem is not with your sensor but in that seat belt switch or its connector or the wiring. Also sounds like an erratic electrical problem, dirty switch contacts?

JP

Hmmmm. So it's possible that IF the seatbelt switch input is erratic, that would give the same symptoms as what I'm seeing?

I suppose that could be an explanation. Seat belt sensors easy to examine?

Looks like a lot of people are having this same problem. not only in the 07, but in the 08, and 09 as well. When I was having problems with GM, would not fool around with my dealer, called that GM number instead, and had to go clear to the top, have a lot of idiots working in the bottom, and recalls are done by VIN number rather than model year.

Also gather its not a switch, the seat belt receptacle, a sensor instead, more than likely using a Hall Effect device that can sense the presents of that metallic clip and more than likely put together by kids in China working 16 hours a day. Seen a lot of this stuff, called a rosin joint that becomes corroded. Has a three wire connector that plugs into a four wire connector, can look at yours.

Some claim the airbag will go off even if that seat is empty, but these things are only good for 25 mph if not wearing your belt, 40 if you are. Just had a death in our county, guy driving a Honda Civic with a headon was killed with an exploded airbag. Civic is no match for an SUV.

JP

Interesting...

I was just looking at a 2007 Solstice available right down the street. The owner mentioned there was a recall on the passenger seat sensor and he was waiting for the part. Guessing it's the same issue as with my Torrent.