Pathfinder

hdc

2004 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 v6 about 170k miles
Here's the deal....
The thing starts and runs great then all of a sudden it has virtually NO power. I can barely keep up with traffic and acceleration is a joke. It feels almost as if it has jumped timing. The part i cant figure out is if you turn the ignition off and start it again, it is instantly fixed for anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours. It has been doing this for a couple days.
No CEL so i am not sure where to start with this. Any ideas?

do not trust* the CEL - have the system scanned its FREE post all codes that are mentioned.
othere things you might check-
exhaust back pressure.
fuel pressure - a gauge.
check engine oil for coolant or fuel
check coolant for oil.
let us know if you need tips on doing any of the suggestions

*bulb out and not all codes set CEL to on

hdc

Thanks Kev
I cranked it up and it ran good again for a couple miles and did it again.

Codes:
P0420 and P0430
P0011 and P0021

I guess my next question is.... which is causing which and where to start.
*Fuel, oil, coolant all seemed good. No way to check exhaust or fuel pressure at the moment

the p4xx codes are cat efficiency code they are dependent on a good running engine, the P011 and P021 are VVT codes SO we need to look at them first.

will your code reader read P1*** type codes so called manufacturers specific- P1111 P1136 -?

As it seams intermittent- this system starts with oil pressure - check level - doing proper maintenance? add 1 bottle of RISOLINE to oil. MAYBE there is some gunk on the solenoids.

If that didl not help we will check the IVT solenoids, their electrical connections and Ohm readings 7.0 - 7.5Ω at 20°C (68°F) - also neither wire on vehicle harness should be grounded

Attachments

hdc

No, I don't think it will. All i have is a cheap code reader and the codes i gave you yesterday were from me running to the parts store and having them pull them for me.
Oil level is good. I have only had the thing about 18 months but i have kept up on the maintenance pretty well. It may have gone a few hundred miles over on a couple oil changes but that is it.
I drove it yesterday afternoon (about 50-60 miles) again and it didn't do it. I never had that MAJOR power loss but it still didn't seem quite right. I got a quart of Risoline, i added it and have probably put 20 miles on it since.
I will try to get those ohms readings today between rain showers. Thanks again for all the help

billr

wrench
Staff member
When I hear of major power loss, that comes and goes from day-to-day, I think of a catalytic-converter matrix that is breaking up. Chunks can get loose, get blown back to block the cat exit into the tail-pipe and power is gone. The next time you start the engine the chunk might have fallen to a different position, and just stay there out-of-the-way for that trip. Have there been any new rattles down in the exhaust system lately, especially right at start-up?

hdc

Bill, No rattles. I may have cat problems also as i do have the cat efficiency codes but i was kinda hoping it was just throwing those because of the VVT issue. I am hoping anyway.

hdc

Kev, thanks for the diagrams. I attempted to get you the ohms values but when i unplugged it it was a 3 pin connector. At the risk of sounding stupid..... which 2 pins am i testing?

3 wires sounds like the CMP sensor...
solenoid is 2 wire

did you get the detergent into eng oil?
that is best (DIYer) guess without the scanner to guide us.

Attachments

hdc

Kev, thanks again for the pic (apparently i AM stupid). Looks like the CMP's are on the front of the cams on mine not the back.
Anyway. I unplugged the IVT solenoids and get about 9.0-9.1 on both of them at 80 degrees F

p.s. i did get the detergent in

that is above the spec I posted - I will DBL check tomorrow before we condem the solenoids- not cheap-
Also the harness - when probing neither wire was grounded?

run the engine with that detergent, it is a inexpensive HAIL MARY just takes time if its the issue.

hdc

Kev, thanks for everything. No neither wire on either is grounding.
I was just hoping they may have been good somehow being they were both off the exact same amount. I am really hating the sound of "not cheap" right now.
If i may ask, how long you recommend on the Risoline? It still has time on this oil change but figured it wouldnt hurt to throw a change and filter at it. Just want to give that detergent time to work before i do.

In intermittent solenoid problem would more likely be gunk than an electrical problem. Kev is the big Risolone expert, I would say give it plenty of time/miles. Always better to clean a motor slowly to prevent a plugged oil pump pickup screen. Hard call on this question...don't want to wait until the filter is completely plugged.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Let's hope it is a solenoid problem, not oil pressure itself; but getting a gauge on the oil pressure and watching that when the problem occurs may be worthwhile. I would hate to hear the engine died because of low oil pressure...