Pattern failure for Fire on 1990-2011 town cars???

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by Carl59, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Carl59

Carl59 Jr. Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:
    MODEL:
    YEAR:
    MILES:
    ENGINE:
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....

Hi all,
    Been searching the copart and insurance auto auction websites for town cars. (Search is for 1990-2011) Been seeing quite a few of them which caught fire from under the hood. Some have relatively low miles, others high miles. My point Is this...it seems to be a an ignition point on either side of the engine towards the rear ( by the fuel rail) so much so that it burns a hole thru the hood. Most all of them burned in the same manner...don't really see any crown Vic's or grand Marquis burn in this manner...( search those websites and you'll see what I mean)

Could It be from the relay box under the hood???

Is there a pattern failure common on these cars???

Does anybody know of a cause or a repair to prevent this from happening?

If so, can this be addressed before something catastrophic happens?

I keep my town cars (1995, 1996, 2003 & 2007) in the garage ... not sure if this happens after ignition is off or when the car is running.

Thanks

2. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

From article on internet...
    ConsumerAffairs.com has received 155 complaints of fires in Ford trucks and cars since the recall last August that was supposed to remedy the problem once and for all.

In 2005 and 2006, Ford recalled nearly 6 million vehicles because of problems with the cruise control cut-off switch.

The switch shuts off the cruise control when the driver firmly steps on the brakes. The switch is located under the hood of the vehicle and is attached to the brake master cylinder on one end and wired to the cruise control on the other.

The switch is powered at all times, even when the vehicle is turned off. In some cases fluid leaking into the switch could cause it to short circuit resulting in a fire, which led to the earlier recalls.

If I owned one of these vehicles, I would rewire so that the cut-off switch only had power when key is turned on. That way I could sleep at night without worrying about burning the house down.

3. Carl59

Carl59 Jr. Member

Thanks for the reply. I had the dealer install the remedy for the 1995, which consisted of a harness extension.

Can I either unplug the cruise control and or pull the fuse as a safety measure?

Not sure of the august recall, I was never notified.

What model years did this latest recall cover?

4. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

I would just disconnect wires at pressure switch on master cylinder. Double check that your brake lights still work.
    [​IMG]

5. Carl59

Carl59 Jr. Member

Thanks , I will try this on all three different model years (95', 96' and 03') and see if it works. (Just hope that no other circuit runs thru it...I'm fine with no cruise control, though...it hasn't worked on the 95' for some time.)