Saturn
Model
Astra
Year
Miles
Engine
1.8l
Son's car.
We replaced the valve cover and now periodically, the car blows out blue smoke. The replacement looked identical and fit well.
Is there something quirky about the pcv circuit in this engine? The engine is in excellent condition and has never used a drop of oil, it simply leaked onto the exhaust manifold and we intended to stop that. The v/c was a mail order from 1AAuto.
Any Ideas?

Classic reasons for "periodically, the car blows out blue smoke" would be worn rings, leaking valve seals, or PCV problem. Could you would expand your description to better describe when, how long, how often? A complete story might start with "after being parking all night long..."

Last edited:

GM Guy

Well, he tells me that there is not a defined pattern.
The best I can understand is that it occurs when the engine is moderately to heavily loaded irrespective of rpm.
The engine has been maintained meticulously and, before this, didn't use oil between 5k mi change intervals.

GM Guy

No. like simply going through the gears, accelerating moderately.
Is there an oil drain hole/passageway that could get blocked, allowing the oil to pool in the head enough to the point that it gets sucked into the crankcase vent? Or a baffle that would normally hold back oil, but may be missing due to defect? I'm at a loss.
The engine appears to be the same engine used in the Chevy Cruze, in case that might ring a bell with someone.

grcauto

I would pull the cover and make sure the baffles are the same and that you didn't get any gasket material plugging a drain hole.

A thought -
Is this a manual trans?
This puff is often seen when shifting - changing throttle position and vacuum changes.

GM Guy

Yes, it's a manual.
We will remove the valve cover when he is finished with this semester of college. I'll post back what we find.
I was hoping that someone on here has worked on many of these 1.8L engines and was familiar with the nuances and frequent mis-steps. I suppose the 1.8L hasn't been in production as long as, say the SBC, where just about every little detail has been encountered through the years...

GM Guy

Last night we removed the valve cover and then removed the PCV valve out of it.
That is definitely the entry point of oil into the engine.
I called 1Aauto and explained the situation and they are sending me another valve cover to warranty this one.
I will post back the results.