pictures from work

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Here are a few pictures to laugh and show a day in the trade

This one is called "what can possibly go wrong?"
IMG_20180323_092810.jpg

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Yeah you saw that correctly, the ECU is attached to the P flow with what I think is some clothes line.:eek:

This picture I call "god dammit! Now I gotta clean that up!!" Second time in 27yrs of doing this trade has a shock actually unscrewed itself from the inside. A job on a 2013 edge.

IMG_20180323_115458.jpg IMG_20180323_115506.jpg

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This is my new set up at work. Was worth the investment for my boss, now every diagnostic job gets a print out and last cutting edge equipment. I like my stuff clean, cuz electrical diagnosis needs a fresh clean light source and a clean environment to properly get in that head zone you need to be on those particularly difficult cases. Oh, and yes, I eat all the time. I am the butt of a few jokes on that one, but my co workers just nod in awe that I am still in great shape cuz I eat what I want when I want, including cheese bugles and doughnuts at 8:30 am everyday. :eek: IMG_20180323_120740.jpg

IMG_20180323_115531.jpg

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
To be honest, that is the only pair of vice grips I own now. I had a whole set over the years, but lost most or just threw them away being rusted out and to lazy to go get them changed out or get new return springs. That pair gets a extensive usage since at this new shop. But the wireless mouse probably gets more use. :eek:

Probably time to get a new set. I am going to buy a new set when they come on sale at canadian tire. I like them cuz they are warrantied for life at a fraction of what the snap on and mac truck guy's are asking.

But with that new limited edition husky box, space is at a premium. But I love the counter top surface. My old box I still have at my house, but would never go back to a high top tool box.

More pics to come, I will keep this thread alive. The other day, an 83 ram van b250 camper with a clothes dryer exhaust tube acting as an air inlet for the engine. Couldn't get my camera out fast enough. Client was on the shop floor. I also wanted to get the exhaust outlet on pic also, that was a aluminum drainage down spout. AT least, that is what I think they call it. Looked some thing like this sticking out the backside of this van. Gotta give it those campers out there with that can do attitude. :cool: But sure looks crappy sitting next to the second snapshot here.

down-spout-1280x640.jpg performance_s.0.jpg

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
BTW, anybody notice the stock beer bottle opener on the right side of my tool chest? That got some jokes. :cool: Part of the reason I bought that. The snap on versions were 3 grand. No beer bottle opener. I got this box for under a grand brand new. 700$ to be exact. Should bring me to retirement. And if it doesn't, I will just buy another one and still be cash over and still make it to retirement.

My old box made it to 26yrs of abuse and still have it. I have 22yrs left of work till eligable for pension. So if I have to buy another one, what is another 700$? if that box fails for some reason. I rather invest on useful tools than a brand name box that serves only one purpose, which is to sit there and house my tools.

A few of my co workers said to wood counter top would scratch. Yes they were right, but sanding a wood block and slapping on varnish is way easier than sandblasting a metal top and color-matching the finish. I got a quote to cap the top with the same diamond plate you see in the back drop, but I thought that would be diamond plate over kill. Capping off in stainless steel was 1/2 the price of the box, home depot has varathane varnish for 20$ a can. Do the math. New counter top varnish once a year, half hour with my old friend belt sander and it will always look great. Clients love the set up. They don't see that often in old school shops like ours.

Anyways, like I said, more pic to come.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Also, I invite any body here to post their pics of funny stuff they see in the shop, or their set ups. Even post pics of cheater tricks they use.

In the cam bolt pic I posted, I took that pic cuz I could see the cam bolt way way out of specs. I had to make my own marks. Client didn't want to pay for 4 wheel alignment. SO I said here is proof. Some thing is crooked on this truck and we can fix that. He said put it back the way it was. SO that is what I did. I also told him to start saving cuz any tire he is going to put on this independent AWD truck is going to feather and bald the exact same way as the ones we just replaced.

Some ppl just don't know how to save money. A 30$ bushing or 200$ per tire every six months. o_O:giveup:$.02

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Most of the equipment dates back to the time of Noah`s arc, but still running strong.

Here are pics of the 100 ton leaf arcing press, and u-bolt press. Hint, don`t use the 100 ton press to drive in a wheel bearing. I cracked a knuckle in no time. IMG_20180323_124300.jpg IMG_20180323_124314.jpg IMG_20180323_124331.jpg

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Here is a pic of old school pits we have. This is the center pit, we can fit 40ft long whatever type trucks, RV`s, fire engines etc. 40 ton jack at each end. Horrible working conditions, but hey, it`s a pay check. IMG_20180323_124352.jpg IMG_20180323_124415.jpg

I'll bet the bus pit gets really slippery/splashey in the wintertime.

I think diamond plate would make a horrible toolbox top surface. Unless you only use it to stand on.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Yeah, those pits get real nasty 6 months out of the year. Need a pretty good pair of work boots, if not, you get real nasty feet also. And I agree, diamond plate would have made a horrible surface to work on. It was just a cheaper option than capping in stainless, but it will stay as is.

I have more pics to come.